Refugee garden....

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, Apr 25, 2016.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

As I have posted here before, I'm a garden host for a refugee family. So far, they have only been here twice to do gardening work. They are not now, nor have they ever been 'country folk'.

I don't know how to get through to them that a garden takes time every week. Whether there is planting, weeding, harvesting, or soil preparation necessary. They are very intelligent people, speak four languages, and have worked with and for well known NGO's like World Vision.

Maybe it is their dislocation from the garden site? Hell, I don't know. I'm still putting one foot in front of the other, getting things planted, up-potted, and second plantings started in flats.

Well, not that you guys will have all the answers, it is good to have a place to vent a little bit. Thanks for 'listening'.

Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Most people of all walks of life who have never gardened do not realize how much time and work it takes to maintain one. That comes with time and experiencing a few plant losses or poor harvests. Sadly that happening could also totally destroy their desire to garden but that would be on them, not you.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

FBG, you are doing a good thing--not an easy thing, but a good thing in helping these folks learn about growing food.
    The "garden takes time every week" is a difficult concept for someone who has never gardened. Perhaps you could give them a calendar and mark either in words or pictures what is to be done (photo of someone hoeing, pulling weeds, planting, etc.) on the Mondays and then on the Fridays have a picture of someone celebrating having done the necessary.
    I've worked with the mentally challenged, and with children that had never seen a vegetable grow, so I sympathize somewhat, although I didn't have to overcome the language barrier. Hang in there--whatever you accomplish with these refugees, is an accomplishment!

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Mmm,, Refugee from what situation/country ? It isn`t a dumb question. Its important to know what their background is. Especially if these people are that well educated yet show a lack of interest in feeding themselves or care where the food comes from. Had it been me I would have pitched a tent in your back yard. I see the same lack of interest in many today in the U.S.. Ticks me off to no end.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Have they done any thing, garden wise, with you? I can't remember exactly how you were volunteered for this but I would notify them and tell them that they need to be at your house at (??) time and date. If they show up...fine but if they don't then I would write them off and not worry about it. If they do show up be definite about the time and dates they must show up..if they want to learn. If they are well educated and have money then it may be that in their country it is considered demeaning to work in the dirt.

7. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

These folks are from Rwanda. They are urbanites. No transportation to speak of. They don't live particularly close. (just a few miles, but 15/20 minutes by road) I was voluntold by the missus. I don't really mind growing the food. It is a stress reducer and just plain fun for me. As my sister the school teacher says: You can't teach those that don't wish to learn. I don't know if these folks want to learn or not. Well, I'm late to be off to work. 'See' you folks in about 10/12 hours.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

I would say to listen to what your sister the school teacher says and don`t stress about it. It may sound callous but people like that need to go hungry a while. The only way they will ever care about supporting/feeding themselves is not to have it handed to you. Many think that nothing will ever happen to their food supply,,,but what if it did ?

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Y'know, I think a lot depends on how THEY came to be volunteered to be the recipients of your garden hosting. From the way they're acting, it kinda sounds like they were thrust into the role without much agreement, and so you're dealing with their acquiescence rather than enthusiastic agreement. The first is pretty much is guaranteed to result in a sort of passive observer type response, while the second will produce a much more active and participatory approach.

I'm sorry they're not more enthusiastic FBG. You don't deserve the snub. Not a whole lot you can do however. Either you keep their garden alive FOR them, or allow it to just die, so that they can actually SEE the results of their lack of participation. Let them deal with the natural consequences of their actions, much like you do with children, y'know?

Beeker, Philip Nulty, Droopy and 3 others like this.
  10. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Very insightful Ronni. Something for me to discover. This could relieve frustration on both sides of the issue rather quickly. Smart woman you are!

Philip Nulty, Ronni and Growingpains like this.
  11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

FBG, is English one of their languages? If yes, give them a simple gardening book and tell them, "You have a choice. You may care for your garden plot and reap rewards, or you can neglect it and watch it die. Your choice."

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ronni I like your comment. I agree with FBG, pretty insightful!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. Red Audrey

Red Audrey New Seed

I might try to ask a few questions about what they like to eat. If they are displaced, they might really crave some comfort food from home. Perhaps the dish could be approximated using vegetables from the garden. The interest you show in their culture might be enough to foster common ground (pun absolutely intended ;p). It is exhausting to be in a position of needing help from others and it can be easy to shut down. I am guessing it could be refreshing for them to tell you about something they know about for a bit.

Philip Nulty and Droopy like this.
  14. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Good thinking, Red Audrey.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Interesting reading the previous posts and comments,..somewhere along the line those Refugees were asked what would they like to do,..from a list of projects,..i feel sure they were not just told,..you are doing gardening!,..either way they are supposed to be at your location,..so what are they doing when they are elsewhere and not in your garden,..someone must be responsible for their whereabouts.

Growingpains likes this.
  16. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

It sounds like the refugees either don't understand or don't care. Although gardening is fun and a stress reducer for you, these people are taking that away from you and causing the opposite from their lack of presence. I agree with Ronni. I wonder if they will show up more regularly around harvest time.