Renson Limited Brood Method

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Sjoerd, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The bees are hauling nectar and pollen by the satchel-loads. The fact that they are bringing in so much pollen especially, tells me that the queen is laying. This means a census increase in the hives. The hive is up to speed now and so it is time for trying a new technique (for me). We call it the "Renson Methode". Basically it is a method of beekeeping in a limited space.

The method was conceived by the Belgian, Henri Renson.

The benefits of doing this is:
    (1) A higher honey harvest
    (2) Easier to check for swarm cells because of the smaller brood space
    (3) Less swarming tendency because the colony size is te4mpered and stable
    (4) If they should swarm, the queen cannot accompany, so the swarm will return to the hive
    (5) The queen will live longer because of less egg laying

Before I begin, I just want to say that after researching this, I have discovered that there are several variations to this technique. Sadly no other imkers that I know here have ever done this, so it was purely down to research. What I describe here is what I decided to do in the end.

What is needed:
    3 brood boxes
    2 queen excluder's
    6 frames of brood
    4 space-filler-frames
    1 partitioned drone frame

I shall give the steps in the order in which I set this hive up.

Step 1-- Prepare the under brood box: place any left-over brood frames, 3-4 frames with food and the rest with built-up brood frames

Step 2-- Place a queen excluder on top of bottom box, then set the middle brood box (the Renson Box/chamber) on top of that. Hang 6 frames of brood and the queen, one three-partitioned drone frame and 3-4 space-filler-frames

Step 3-- Place the second queen excluder on top of the Renson chamber then set the third brood box on top of that with built-up and foundation frames in an alternating fashion. Close the hive and then leave them to it for 9-10 days.
    bijen.jpg

Here I am placing the Renson box on top of the under box plus queen excluder.

renson.JPG

Here you can see the construction for the Renson Method. The illustration was taken from KONVIB site and Dirk Desmadryl was the author of the web page.
    For clarity, a bit of translation:
    HZ= Honey super, vulblokken_ space-filling frames, darrenraam= 3-partitioned drone frame, stuifmeel= pollen frames and R- queen excluder.

After nine days you check the under box to see if there are any swarm cells present. There shouldn't be any because the under box is full of foragers and foragers do not build.

Check the Renson chamber for swarm cells, and repeat this every 10 days. Since there are only "house bees" present here they ought to be easy to handle.
    Should there be any swarm cells present, remove them. If the bees continue to make swarm cells , remove the queen...wait 5 days and then introduce a new, young, fertilized queen; or, make a tussenaflegger ...see: http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/swarm-threat-the-making-of-a-tussenaflegger

During each of the 10 day checks, try and let as many drones as possible escape. Also remove one section of the partitions in the 3-partitioned frame. You want to remove sealed (capped) brood because if your colony has varroa mites, they will be in these drone cells.

Around the first of July, remove the queen excluder which is between the middle and lower brood boxes. The bees will perhaps be out of the swarming mode and they will then continue stocking up honey for the winter. They will fill the lower boxes as well as the honey super. The honey in the middle and under box is for the bees...the honey in the super is for you.

Well, fingers crossed now--we shall see how this goes.

2. Loading...