Results from the 2014 Phenology(baseline) Study

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The second annual Gardenstew perennial flower baseline study for 2014 results. I wish to thank everybody that participated.

Throughout the 2014 growing season 96 entries covering a broad spectrum of flowers were submitted by Gardenstew members for the study. The bloom dates as well as the baselines established will provide an invaluable resource in years to come. 38 Deltas (deviations from a previous years bloom date) and new for 2014 were recorded. The information provides members a record of individual flower bloom dates and deviations(deltas ?) from last year. As we have seen in recent years our climate is changing. For those of us in temperate latitudes either north or south, we have witnessed a gradual but steady shift toward the polar regions. To document those changes takes time and only through the participation of people like the Gardenstew members will the effects of this change in climate become evident. It is hoped that if we can continue the documentation of the new growing season and compare the dates of each survey period, we will be able to watch fluctuations in hardness zones. At the very least participating members have documented the exact date many of their perennial flowers bloom. This will also act as a active guide for our flower gardens.

A brief explanation of Phenology

Phenology is the study of periodic plant and animal life cycle events and how these are influenced by seasonal and inter-annual variations in climate, as well as habitat factors (such as elevation).

Because many such phenomena are very sensitive to small variations in climate, especially to temperature, phenological records can be a useful proxy for temperature in historical climatology, especially in the study of climate change and global warming. For example, viticultural records of grape harvests in Europe have been used to reconstruct a record of summer growing season temperatures going back more than 500 years. In addition to providing a longer historical baseline than instrumental measurements, phenological observations provide high temporal resolution of ongoing changes related to global warming.

The 2014 data collected has been summarized and some filters applied to sort the data.

Data collection references:

Data submitted by members: http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/the-2nd-annual-gardenstew-perennial-flower-baseline-study.31885/

Compiled data:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YVlnc8TEMOxj2ut6VaIAtUieFVl5BIKHNperYtMxzVk/edit#gid=3

Summery and sorted data:

Number of participating members = 10

Number of flower entries = 96

Earlist entry = January 28

Latest entry = September = 12

Hardiness zones represented = 7

Coldest zone: 5a

Warmest zone: 8b

Countries represented = 2

Plant Families represented = 25

Genus Represented = 43

Baselines established = 6,

Deltas(?) Observed: 38

Longest Delta (?): 48 Days

Shortest Delta (?): ± 0 Days

Distance of the shortest baseline = 7.5 miles

Distance between the longest baseline = 1480 miles,.

Same hardiness zone baselines = 1

Northernmost location: Beaverton, Ontario, Canada

Southernmost participating location: South Liberty County Texas

Again, thank you for your participation,

Jerry

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...