Rodent Deterient

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Jewell, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Our cat is over 14 years and retired. Our Doberman Pincher succumbed to cancer. Rodents invaded, both the fuzzy tailed variety and the sleek tailed variety. Squirrels or a particular squirrel liked a warm motor to sit on and over this last year twice chewed electrical wiring on both cars.

I'd been researching dog breeds to help maintain home and health and cars. The best option from all my reading and preferences appeared to be a rat terrier. A Decker Rat Terrier to be more precise. Heavens! What was I thinking? We haven't had a puppy in several doggy generations always getting mature dogs.

Well at Christmas we found our new dog. image.jpeg
    Isn't he cute. Unfortunately he's the smartest dog I've ever had, the most energetic, the most athletic. He now has a personal dog walker to help with human and doggy relations (i.e. Run off some energy before I get home.). He's now a teenager and it looks like we will all survive....maybe not the rodents....but the rest of us for sure. image.jpeg Oh yeh, his name is Frank.

2ofus, eileen and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. jillh
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Frank.....not you Frank, the newest Frank on the forum. He is a cutie (yes Frank you are a cutie too but I am talking about the dog right now) and yes Rat Terriers are very active! My oldest daughter has a mix named Fred and as he got older he settled down a lot but when he was young he was a bouncing and bounding handful. I love the color markings on his head.

Jewell and Frank like this.
  4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@Jewell - Your pup Frank is gorgeous! Wherever did you find him? Been looking for somebody like him for a while now AND I'm also in the Pacific NW!

Jewell likes this.
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Yes Toni, it's easy to forget how energetic young ones are. When I discovered the breed from my research I fell in love. Frank has surpassed my expectations. The breed isn't like other terrier breeds. This individual has been exceptionally responsive, curious and active, but obedient and highly trainable.

Island life, He's from the Deckers of the Gorge out of The Dalles, Oregon. Nice couple. You'll find them here. http://deckerratterrier.nrta.com/deckerchapter.html
    I can PM you their phone number also if your really interested.

Frank will be close to 40 pounds when grown. We'd always had big dogs so he's a downsize. I didn't want to work so hard. One of our last rescued Doberman Pinchers made me realize I wanted less work in keeping a stable, calm pack.

Here's one of his puppy pictures. Poor old Buddy training another dog even though he's retired from ratting himself. image.jpeg

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Congrats on your new friend Jewell! Strangely he looks like a Frank and I have no idea why.

Jewell likes this.
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Awww Frank is so cute but I'll bet the rodents don't think that!! He'll have so much fun keeping those nastie wee beasties away and you'll have so much fun simply having him around. Here's to a long and happy life together. :sete_003:

Jewell likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Frank is adorable (you choose which Frank I'm referring to). So glad you found the perfect dog, and that he found such a great home!

Jewell likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Thanks for the link :) Very interesting info. Had no idea as to the 'size' of the Deckers as mostly I always considered Rat Terriers to be smaller but your Frank is one good looking dog! Lovely colouring and markings

Last dog was a terrier and once you get past the puppy and adolescent stage you've got a really terrific dog. Will definitely have to think on this one ;)

Jewell likes this.
  10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

What a delightful addition to the family, rats beware!! A word of caution...don't teach him any html web programming. Else when the Gardenstew site goes down we won't know which Frank to blame. :):)

Jerry

marlingardener, Frank and Jewell like this.
  11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Awww, what a little sweetie! Puppies are a lot of work, and they definitely keep us on our toes, and SO worth every minute!

12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

He is so cute, I just want to cuddle him! Rodents...Beware!

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Awwwwwwwwwwww...so cute. Your markings on your Frank look like my small Chihuahua mix a bit. I understand what you mean about puppies, they are a lot of work but in the long run they are worth it. Just getting up at 4:30 a.m. to start the day is challenging and we take a lot of naps. Such a sweet photo of Frank and the cat...I hope everyone keeps enjoying one another for a long time.