Role of community gardens in regeneration

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by charlotteelmslester, Sep 5, 2016.

?

What is the main goal of community gardens and parks?

Poll closed Sep 25, 2016.
  1. Community building schemes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. An attempt to beautify and liven up areas

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. A way to claim space in increasingly developed cities

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. charlotteelmslester

charlotteelmslester New Seed

Hi all,

I am currently undertaking a university project which focuses on the relationship between green spaces in cities and the process of regeneration.

I am interested to find out if community gardens and parks are being used as either:
    1) Community building schemes
    2) An attempt to beautify and liven up areas
    3) A way to claim space in increasingly developed cities.

I would be extremely appreciative if you could respond with either 1, 2 or 3, and if you have the time to share your opinion on whether community gardens can aid or perhaps resist regeneration.

Thank you.

2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Am not sure I totally understand your question and would actually appreciate a further definition of "Regeneration."

4. charlotteelmslester

charlotteelmslester New Seed

My project in based in Elephant and Castle, London, an area undergoing a huge amount of development, so in this case the 'regeneration' is referring to the area being 'stored to a better, higher, or more worthy state' via extremely expensive large scale apartment complexes being built (in place of former council estates), giving the area an extreme makeover, so to say. The poll is a more simplified question, I am aiming to find out what the main goal or use of community gardens and parks are, specifically in urban spaces and cities.

So are these community gardens and parks 1) trying to bring together a community in a time where the local area is changing drastically? 2) adding to this regeneration by making the area look more attractive? or 3) attempting to hold on to pieces of land in an area where land is rapidly being built on and developed?

Hope this helps! Any further questions please just ask!