Roses growing but no blooms for second year in a row...help!

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by ashcats03, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ashcats03

ashcats03 New Seed

Hello all, I am new to the site. I have about 20 rose bushes in my various gardens and for the most part they are doing well. I have two bushes that have bloomed in the past, but not the last couple of seasons. They grow beautifully with no sign of insects or disease. Not sure what the problem is. I fertilize every 6 weeks. I also have a couple of climbers. One climbs great but no blooms except the first year I had it, and the others don't climb or bloom, they just grow like a non-climber. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any advice would be appreciated :stew2:

2. Loading...

3. digital flower

digital flower Seedling

Well without seeing the plants there are two things that come to mind. Not enough sun or too much nitrogen in the fertilizer.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

What are you fertilizing WITH ashcat? It does sound a bit like too much nitrogen.

5. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

fertilizer, fertilizer...bury eggs shells and banana peels around the rose bushes...lots of nitrogen...lots of sun and water...

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Perhaps you coulds try a special rose fertilizer or at least apply some Potassium in one form or another as potassium stimulates flower formation.
    Personally I would not use much nitrogen as nitrogen stimulates leaf growth at the expence of flower bud formation--and you problem is .....no flowers.

BTW-- Is it normal there to feed roses every six weeks? I ask this because I only feed twice a year, in March after pruning and again in July to encourage further bud formation until the end of the fall.

Good luck with getting your roses to flower, keep us posted with their progress.

7. ashcats03

ashcats03 New Seed

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I fertilize with Bayer Advanced Rose Food. It is kind of a thick brown jelly type stuff that gets diluted in water and poured at the plant base. Not sure of the nitrogen content, but the container recommends fertilizing every 6 weeks. I have tried the banana peel thing and have not noticed a difference. Guess I'll keep trying!

8. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

hi ashcat. i hope to hear a news about your blooming roses soon. :stew2:

9. theway-farer

theway-farer New Seed

Re: Roses growing but no blooms for second year in a row...h

may be they too much take fertilize, or weather's too hot or too cold.. just give them only water for 2-4 days.

10. LadyElle

LadyElle New Seed

Re: Roses growing but no blooms for second year in a row...h

Not sure about the bushes, but with the climbers it could be pruning.

They say that if you prune a newly planed climbing varient of a bush rose (like climbing Iceberg for example) too hard, you can shock it back into being a bush.

The other thought I had was to ask if you have climbers or ramblers. The pruning of the two is completely different and it would be quite easy to prune one so it never flowered.

Good luck
    Laura

11. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

Triple phosphate should kick start anything into blooming and follow instructions.

Here in MI,Z5 I feed a double dose in May (recommended) and feed every month till the 1st of September.

I stop feeding then to allow growth to harden off and not encourage new growth.

This will vary with growing seasons.

True, some climbers need only a light pruning.

Something not mentioned yet....... is the growth coming from or above the Graft (Bud union) or below it.

Growth below graft is coming from the root stock and that can be a major cause of your problem.

All sucker growth or growth below the graft needs to be removed ASAP.

As far as feeding goes, you aren't feeding to much, roses are very heavy feeders and instructions need to be followed.

If you have well drained soil, maybe feed more often as chemicals leach out with every watering.

Ron