Rotating Our Green Onion Crop

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by cajuncappy, Mar 10, 2015.

1. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

The end of February, around my birthday is when we harvest and replant or small patch of green onions. 30 or 40 bulbs planted 4 inchs apart in grid fashon ame a lush thick patch, and we haven't bought any in years. Here is the report on what for us is a fun task.

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2015/03/rotating-our-green-onions-or-something.html
    here is this February's haul for those of you who do not want to see the whole story.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh my goodness! I grow a lot of green onions, and just give away the extras. Please, tell me why yours are in plastic bags (freezer bags?), how you prepare them for storage, and how you use them later. My neighbors just might have to grow their own if I can preserve our green onions!

4. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

We slice them put them in bags take some/ most of the air out and freeze them. We cook with them till we use them up then do it again. They keep just fine for 3 or 4 months when the next crop is ready. We use them in every thing. The link I posted goes into much more detail.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I never thought of freezing green onions! I usually use green onions raw though ... what is the texture like when they thaw?

Advertisement
  6. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

hmmmmm never really noticed we cook with them so i never really noticed we just shake them out into what we are cooking and they taste good I'll check what they feel like and let ya know. We have been doing it for years so I don't pay attention.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My grandmother used to do the same thing with green onions. She didn't grow them but made trips to the Farmers Market for a large bunch, chopped and froze them too. She used them in everything....except desserts, those she put pecans in.

I like the flavor but hubby is highly allergic to them so we don't have them in the house.

8. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I really enjoyed your blog. Going to try freezing green onions this year.

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm glad you posted this as I'll try it too!

10. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

I wish yall success and happiness with the results. If ya look in your grocery stores ya can probally find them in the freezer section ya can in Cajun country buy a bag and see if ya like them. We use them in scrambled eggs to pot roast stews and gumbos.

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Scrambled eggs? Hallelujah--we have hens and green onions! Cajuncappy, you are a great resource for culinary ideas. Please keep them coming!

12. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very nice.

Don't you have a "seal-a-meal" type thingie? When you freeze things that have lots of water they stay nicer when you use one of these new fangled things. I never liked them until I got one. I love them now. Garlic, green onions. regular onions, and I have Vidalia onions all year for cooking.

Brisbane Trees likes this.
  13. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Howdy, Cappy; Good post, I'm also a fan/lover/user/grower of green onions.. I 'CLICKED-OVER' and read your blog, I like your technique for maintaining a continuous supply and intend to emulate it..
    Hank

14. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Glad yall enjoy it. We have and occasionally use a vac bag system we buy bags and rolls on sale when we can find them. It's labor intensive and the cheapest we have ever gotten the bags works out to 30 cents a bag. Zip bags are a fraction the cost and fully reusable. When we freeze stuff like green onions, parsley, etc we just give the bags a light rince and dry themn and reuse. Also ya aint gonna use the whole bag at once. We wack the bag on the counter to loosen them up, shake out what we want reseal and put back in the freezer. Much better for this sort of thing than vac bags.

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have chicken stock and beef stock in ice cube blocks stored in zip bags. I use that 'whack 'em" process to get a few loose to use!
    We reuse zip bags that have stored something non-messy and that the bags can be rinsed and dried. My husband even made me a dowel tree to put the bags on until they dry. (Think of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree made of dowels).

16. mart

mart Strong Ash

I do the same thing with bell peppers. We do not have perfect conditions for storing onions, and usually have quite a few left come January so they begin to sprout and grow. I just go to the garage and snip the sprouts for green onions.