Saving Bell Pepper Seeds

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Pricklypear, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I have had very good luck with California Wonder peppers and would like to save some seed. I assume they are open pollinated. It's the only pepper I'm growing this year so it's a good time to do this.

Do I need to let one or two peppers ripen to red or can I save seed from mature green peppers?

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I would want to be sure the seeds are mature. Just leave one or two on the plant till they turn red and begin to soften. Then pick and remove seeds and let them dry.

4. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

Thanks, Mart. That makes good sense.

I have planted seeds from an unknown variety of green bell pepper. I got less than 50% germination.

I still don't know if it was me or something about the pepper? So, maybe immature seeds or possibly it was a hybrid. It was before I owned a heat mat. It was certainly a failed experiment.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

When bell peppers are green the seeds are still slightly immature. 50% is about average for them. Try with more mature ones. you should get 85% or better. Even with bought seed you are going to have a few that don`t germinate.

Advertisement
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I gave up on growing Green peppers from seed. They never do any good, so I just buy plants locally.

7. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

It may be poor germination if you didn't have adequate pollinators or air movement when the blossoms were open. The same goes for tomatoes and eggplant.

8. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

Thanks, everyone.

I have saved seed from a ripe, red pepper. When they dry out a bit, I'll do a germination test. If I get eight out of ten, then I'll keep some seed for next year. I'll put ten seeds in a wet paper towel and stuff that in a zip lock baggie. I'll keep that baggie next to my daily vitamins, so I'll remember to check them.

I've had excellent results starting veggies and melons from seed--including tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. This will be the first time I've saved seed from a pepper I've grown. So next year I'll be planting "my" seed (if all goes well) and the rest of the California seeds I have left in my commercial packet.

I've thought about this some more and realized that I was assuming that just because I ate "green" peppers didn't mean using "green" or immature seed
    was a good idea. Geeze.

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My brother grew some Fajita Spicy Bell Peppers this year. Basically a Bell Pepper with some "kick"... which I fell in love with! I saved a couple and set them aside to dry out so I can try to grow some next year.
    So this thread is interesting to me.
    Do I just let them sit there until they are totally dried out before "harvesting" the seeds?

10. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I took seeds from a ripe, red pepper I was putting in a salad. I put the seed on a saucer and let it air dry, then I'll put the seed in a labeled envelope inside a zip lock sandwich bag. I store seed in an airtight container in the fridge.

I dry the seed outside the pepper because the bells are large enough that inside the pepper seeds might mold or rot before the pepper dries.

11. cherylad

Thanks Prickly.
    I was wondering about them just sitting here. I'm going to do as you suggest and get the seeds out and let them dry before storing for the winter.
    :stew2:

12. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

In my experience, using the freezer for storage works better. YMMV.

Pricklypear likes this.
  13. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

Storing seeds in the freezer is a new one on me. Never heard of doing that. I really need to get off the computer this morning but now I've got something to add to my "Look this up" list.

Thanks.

Just had a thought...Mother Nature stores her seeds in the freezer during the winter (in the North). Doesn't seem to hurt those weed seeds. LOL!

14. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

Letting vegetables "rot" naturally is the best way to save seeds. When they turn mushy gather the seeds with a spoon and put them in a jar of water and shake vigorously. When the slurry clears (may take some time)and the pulp and some seeds are on top and most seeds are on the bottom, gently add water (careful not to disturb the seeds on the bottom) until the pulp and top seeds float out of the jar. The seeds on top are no good. Strain the seeds out of the water and place on a paper towel to dry. Now make sure they are dry before you store them.

15. cherylad

wow... and I just took them out and put on a dish.
    Why do the "bad" seeds float to the top?

16. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

Don't know, they must be less dense. :headscratch: