Seven Dust... Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by MyHomeAndGarden, May 30, 2008.

1. MyHomeAndGarden

MyHomeAndGarden New Seed

I just received a dozen beautiful Tomatoes from a friend of mine and they were treated with Seven Dust. As a matter of fact, the dust was still on the plant as I washed them all carefully. I don't know a thing about this chemical and was wondering if any of you know more than I? I'm somewhat hesitant about eating them!

Thanks for your help!
    Deborah

2. Loading...

3. budagardener

budagardener Seedling

Hi Deborah, I am not a fan of pesticides of any kind, but I know others who do use seven dust and simply wash the fruits thoroughly before consuming as you normally would anyway. It is topical from what I understand.

4. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

It works but I don't like to use pesticides in the garden...I just was given a great tip from the local plant hut....2 tbls of tabasco sauce mixed in a 1 liter spray bottle of water...spray your plants with that and it keeps everything away...I like the natural solutions.

I plan to spray everything this year to keep off the beetles and the tomato bugs...it even that diluted it is very powerful!

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

According to the manufacturers website FAQ vegies can be dusted with Sevin Dust but there should be a minimum of 3 days between the application and the harvesting of the vegies. So if the tomatoes were not picked too soon after their dusting and you wash them really good, they should be okay to eat.

Also, it is not recommended for Herbs at all.

Advertisement
  6. budagardener

budagardener Seedling

Good to know Toni about the herbs, but that really makes sense!

7. MyHomeAndGarden

MyHomeAndGarden New Seed

A note of thanks!

Thank you all for your input... Bottom line from your notes is that seven dust isn't exactly the greatest, however, I should enjoy the 'fruit' of her work! Groovey! BLT's for everyone in the morning!

Thanks!!
    Deborah