Shade loving vines ??

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by stratsmom, Apr 11, 2015.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Does anyone know of a vine I could plant in my shade garden? I think it would soften up the walls in the background.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Frank
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. margie12u
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

How much shade are you talking about? Part of a day or complete shade, all day long? Honeysuckle comes to mind but be sure you want it because they can really thrive and grow. I planted a honeysuckle vine in my pergola area for the hummingbirds and it grew to the top of the pergola in one season.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Probably quite a bit of shade, the way that corner is situated it only gets late afternoon, early evening summer sun. I thought about honeysuckle, is there a certain species that does better than others? I also thought about trumpet vine or hummingbird vine. Our growing season is so short that things do not become invasive or "take over" ,except for creeping buttercup:mad:

5. Donna Moyer

Donna Moyer New Seed

I have a lot of shade and have had success with periwinkle/vinca. Search for periwinkle ground cover. This is a very pretty vine at this time of year as it blooms with blue flowers. They don't last very long but the foliage is very pretty. I like it because it spreads ( at a nice medium rate ) so that it covers but I can contain it. And I can attest that it grows nicely over walls. I am in zone 5 and it is a perennial for me.

Pianolady and Frank like this.

Advertisement
  6. Donna Moyer

Donna Moyer New Seed

vincasmall.jpg

Just thought I would follow up my previous post with a photo of my vinca surrounding a bleeding heart.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I planted an Euonymus vine last year and it is in deep shade. It's still alive but hasn't grown much but it is fighting all the fir tree roots also.

8. AbundantBlooms

AbundantBlooms New Seed

Virginia Creeper is one that grows remarkably well in shade, and is super hardy. In the fall it turns brilliant red. It's very easy to control and remove too if it gets out of hand. A US native as well.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

10. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Are you looking for something with vertical climb to cover a wall only, or ground cover? If you need a ground cover, I've got barren strawberry (Waldsteinia ternata) that will thrive in full shade (can even be invasive). You have to really watch it though, critters have been transplanting it where I don't want it, and you have to pull it out before it takes hold.

I planted English Ivy once, and it took over everything and I spent two years pulling it. Can't recommend that, super invasive. Sweet Autumn clematis would also do well even in the shade imo, but reseeds like wildfire and you'll be pulling it constantly (which I do because I like it). Mine gets cut to the ground every year.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  11. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I will also go with Virginia Creeper. It crept up here form Virginia and does quite well crawling up trees. Hmmmm.....I have a pix somewhere.....don't go away.......found it. :)

IMG_0868.JPG

It puts out tendrils that allows it to climb up trees and walls

Jerry

12. DirtisCool!

DirtisCool! New Seed

I agree with Donna. I love vinca! It takes full sun and shade. For some added color, you could mix it with the variegated variety. Variegated-Vinca-Major.jpg

13. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Thanks y'all:) I have Virginia creeper growing all over the tractor shed but cannot get it to transplant to save my life!! I've tried cutting after cutting and obviously I'm doing something wrong:rolleyes: I'd like a wall climber with flowers and am quite interested in the sweet autumn clematis, I'll have to google it. What did we ever do before Mr. Google?:eek: