Shape of the Lucky Bamboo

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Chele, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Chele

Chele New Seed

Hi everyone! I recently got a lucky bamboo for Valentines day - it's growing really nicely no problems that I can see, however I do have a question. It is shaped like a heart, two hearts actually, is this okay for them to grow that way? This is my first time with a bamboo and I wonder if it makes a difference?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Chele!! :-D

I don't think it will matter what shape your lucky bamboo grows in - the heart shapes sound lovely btw. As long as the plant is healthy I'd leave it exactly as it is.

Welcome to GardenStew. :stew1:

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Chele, welcome to the Stew from north Texas. How about posting an intro of yourself in the Welcome to GardenStew forum so we can all get to know each other.

As for your bamboo, yes it is okay for them to grow that way. As the bamboo is growing the farmer will manipulate it's shape, curves, spirals, hearts, etc. Once the desired shape is accomplished it is treated so that it will remain that size and maintain that shape.

5. Chele

Chele New Seed

Thanks for the welcome and for responding so quickly to my post!

If the shape is okay then I will stop freting and enjoy it!

Here is a picture.
    [​IMG]

I had just started to look around the forums now, and will post an intro thread in a few minutes :) thanks again for the welcome!

Advertisement
  6. eileen

I was right - the heart shapes are lovely!!! :D Thanks for posting the piccie for us Chele.

7. Chele

Chele New Seed

^^ I just wanted to post an update on how my bamboo was going; I'm so excited about the new growth - I don't know if I've expressed it enough that I have only ever kept one plant and that was some years ago. I am probably more excited about this than I should be :D

Here was the first picture I posted, recropped to a smaller pic.
    [​IMG]

Updated picture
    [​IMG]

side view

[​IMG]

I hope my bamboo continues to grow and thrive, I am however thinking about future growth and whether or not it should be transferred to another container. I will have to see how things turn out :D

8. eileen

You're obviously doing everything right Chele as your lucky bamboo looks exceedingly healthy!!! :D Maybe you should try getting another plant too and see if it thrives. :stew1: If you want advice on which plants are easy to take care of then just give us a shout and we'll help you pick one.

9. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I've seen those bamboo plants before, but none that were shaped sooo pretty. Looks like your doing everything right.