Should My Nicole Rose be taller?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Danjensen, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

I bought this rose with the plans that it would grow to similar heights as my don juan 5ft +

However this is its second summer and it is still only around 2ft tall with no sign of major growth. Is this normal?

Everything i have read online suggests it should be taller.

That said it does look stunning.

[​IMG]
    Nicole in full bloom ( photo / image / picture from Danjensen's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Nicole Rose about to bllom ( photo / image / picture from Danjensen's Garden )

Frank and stratsmom like this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sorry, I know next to nothing about roses and even less on a Nicole variety, But you are correct, it is stunning. Now, does it smell as nice as it looks?

4. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

All looks for poor Nicole, almost no scent on ours, but she looks stunning. My wife and I bought one each this is my wifes. Unfortunately the rain hit it hard yesterday so although all the blooms are out its not as impressive as it could have been.

[​IMG]
    Nicole after heavy rain ( photo / image / picture from Danjensen's Garden )

I'm currently waiting on my rose a Don Juan to come into bloom in the next 2 days.

[​IMG]
    Don Juan about to open ( photo / image / picture from Danjensen's Garden )

We planted them last year so this is the first year of flowers. And i Am most impressed. Now old Don has a great smell to it.

Frank likes this.
  5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Both are beautiful roses! I don't know much about them but am trying to learn :p I have learned A LOT from the Heirloom Roses web site!! They are a grower in my home state and I have been able to choose exactly what I want! A red, continual blooming, disease resistant, highly fragrant, medium sized bush that grows many multi-petaled blossoms :p Isn't that a mouthful? I will look and see if they sell your Nicole...I am off on a mission :p

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Was it bareroot or potted when you bought it? If potted were they what's called 'containerized' or container grown?

Bareroot are slower to get roots established and until that happens there is very little above ground growth. But once it does happen then 'Katie bar the door' ;) cause they are on their way. My bareroot 'Mr. Lincoln' and 'Oklahoma' took about three years to start getting some good height on them. My 'Blue Girl' is only 2 yrs in the ground and still less than 3 feet tall.

Containerized means they were bareroot when the nursery received them, they put them in pots to give them a head start but they haven't really gotten their roots established. Unless, of course, they were containerized last year, didn't sell and were held over the winter to bring back out next season.

Container grown means actually grown in the container from the beginning and are the quicker growing roses.
    But if they have been in the container longer than is healthy then the roots may be root bound.

What very few (if any) nurseries will tell you is that height given on the tag is the mature height and that it usually takes a few years for the plant to reach maturity.

7. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

thanks guys, they weren't bare root, so i think they were bare root then put into containers by the nursery.

my don juan exploded the first year and that is what i am comparing nicole to. she also gets less light than don which might be why shes slower. thanks for the advice toni.

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

They both are very very pretty! Ooopss maybe I should say that Don Juan is very handsome? :-D

stratsmom likes this.
  9. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I'm convinced the tags don't tell the true picture if you are growing roses in a colder climate. Mine as a whole probably don't get as big as they would in a warmer climate.

If I don't bury the root ball, I usually lose the rose over the winter. After cutting back the dead canes each spring, my roses usually start out 1-2' tall each year. I find one particular company tends to sell roses in our area that aren't hardy in our climate, so I quit buying that brand unless I've really done my homework first.