shutting down new old garden for winter?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by leafylady, Nov 15, 2015.

1. leafylady

leafylady New Seed

We've just moved into a home in lower Northern Michigan. It has an established but long neglected garden. There is a line of asparagus outside of the fence and some rhubarb inside the fenced area. I'd like to shut it down for the winter in a way that minimizes weeds for the following growing season, in the least expensive way possible. From what I've seen here, it sounds like covering the earth with cardboard would be the way to go. Is that right?

What about the rhubarb? Would I leave that uncovered?
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya LL and welcome.
    Yes, you can cover your plot with a nice, thick layer of cardboard. If you cover your plot with cardboard, a tarp or plant debris, I would just suggest that you first remove the weeds by hoeing or some other way, spread manure then turn the soil.

After that you could cover your plot until spring.

Another thing is that you need to take steps to assure that your covering will not blow away. You can weight it down with planks, bricks or something substantially heavy.

Good luck miss!

Cayuga Morning and leafylady like this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Like Sjoerd said, clean up the asparagus first. Cut off the old stems and BURN them. Then go ahead and clean up any old debris around the asparagus bed and burn that too or go ahead and lay all the debris on top of the asparagus bed and burn it right there. You won't hurt the asparagus as it won't burn that long to get hot enough to go root deep.. That will hopefully remove any pests (like the asparagus larvae) that would winter over. Then cover all of the root area with a nice layer of manure and save all those leaves around the fence and make a nice layer of insulation over them. Come Spring let the leaves stay there to help keep down the weeds. If they are really weedy you may have a couple year project to clean it up unless you use a flame weeder to keep it weeded in the Spring as the weeds come up and as you harvest the spears.

Don't cover the rhubarb with anything other than a layer of leaves. Cardboard would kill that off.

Cayuga Morning and leafylady like this.
  5. leafylady

leafylady New Seed

I'm not sure I should tell my husband about flame weeders! He would have too much fun. I'm going to see if I can gather up what are left of the leaves and put them over the garden this weekend.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

If you have a stable nearby,,I am sure you could get some horse manure for your garden. You can leave that on top or till it in. It will not hurt plants as long as its dry. Its not as hot as cow manure. I have on some occasions planted in nothing but horse manure. It only takes a couple of weeks to dry. Might have a few oats come up from it but the birds will love you . Just make sure they feed good quality hay with no weeds.

And another thing,,if you can take all those leaves that are on the outside and spread them inside the fence that would be excellent. If the neighbors rake leaves I am sure they would appreciate a place to dump them,,in your garden fence. They will break down and fertilize the soil and keep it loose.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015
    leafylady likes this.