Sick Apple Tree

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by AAnightowl, May 8, 2011.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Last month I bought a new apple tree for my garden. It is in a good spot and gets full sun. It is a Winesap, so I need to get two pollinaters yet. It has been doing great until the other day. All of a sudden it is all wilty looking and seems to be dying. I have no idea what might be wrong with it. The tree was nice and healthy when I got it, and it is about four feet tall. There are no black walnut trees anywhere near it. :rolleyes:

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

First, check underneath the leaves for any insects and or damage. second check the trunk for tiny little holes, maybe even a little saw dust underneath them. Either can do enough damage to kill the tree, especially the borers. If you have the borers and you can return the tree to where you purchased it, I would recommend you doing so. If that is the case it came infested already. Otherwise pull the tree out and put it in a bag and get rid of it. We bought a tree at Menards last year and had this happen to us and they refunded us our money, (I did not want another tree with the same possibility occurring).

Frank and eileen like this.
  4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I did not find any signs of insect damage on the tree or insects.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

If there are no bugs or disease visible, I would think it sounds a little dehydrated. Have you had strong winds since you planted it? Have you been giving it lots of water? Was it inside a greenhouse before you put it out in full sun? Maybe it is sunburned? Do you have a photo?

Advertisement
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I will try to get a photo tomorrow as it is nearly dark here. It has had loads of rain, and yes, we have had high winds here--three weeks of heavy storms. I did give it some chicken poo tea tonight. And I will be asking the store manager tomorrow if it is returnable or not. I have my reciepts. I have it staked to protect it from winds and whatnot. It was already outdoors when I bought it, and the weather was nice. We did have one night down to 35' after the first of this month.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I would think that if it has been outside while leafing out, NOT shipped to your area already leafed out, the 35d night should not have damaged it. Dry wind could cause this , but I'm thinking your wind hasn't been dry. I suppose there is the possibility of it being too wet, due to the weather, but I am skeptical of that thought, unless it is planted in a clay soil. Sorry to not be of better help. Do try to get a picture up and maybe some more details of the conditions. Carolyn

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I was able to get hold of the store manager today, and they will take the tree back. I guess I will return it sometime this week when I get to town. I have not seen any improvement as of today. I am trying to download the pics from my camera, but Windows Live Gallery whatever, cannot open them. :-x that is for windows. A smile for my friends..:)