Silly little chipmunk... what are you doing?

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sherry8, May 24, 2015.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Silly little chipmunk, don't you realize how expensive those plants are??? I hope he didn't like the taste of them, I bought them for the hummingbirds... I guess I better buy him his cherry tomato plant so he leaves my things alone... May 24, 2015 091.JPG May 24, 2015 093 (2).jpg

2. Loading...

3. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

You gotta love those chipmunks, they are. So cute.

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I like how they try and hide the entrance to their tunnels....they pull some pieces of bark up over the hole. At least they are pretty smart about where they place the holes too...under the leaves of my daylily...

they give us hours of entertainment through the nice weather....

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Are we lucky we don't have chipmunks in Ireland @Sherry8 ? I think I have read that they are classed as an invasive species there.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Cute little devil isn't he? He seems to be enjoying those blooms. I just hope he leaves enough flowers for the hummingbirds.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Aw, he is so cute, posing for your pictures so nicely! I hope there enough flowers left to keep the hummingbirds happy too.

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

He sure is a cute little mischief maker. I love chipmunks. I wish some of his cousins were equally cute and adorable.

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you Frank,Eileen, 2ofus, AAnightowl....

We bought him a cherry tomato plant today and I put it in a pot....that way they will usually leave ours along. When theirs get close to ripe, I set one on the top of the blocks around our patio . Sure enough I see it with bites out of it later on..:like:

vitrsna likes this.
  10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

One good thing about our chipers is that they are doing a great job eating all the maple tree seeds that have invaded our front yard. I hate all those Maple seeds. I bet I have pulled at least 50 or more baby maple trees out of my flower beds.

AAnightowl likes this.
  11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Tooty2shoes... We have 9 maple trees in our yard and this year they have been dropping quite a few of those seeds (we always called them helicopters growing up)...I haven't noticed the chipmunks eating any here yet, I hope they do start doing it so we have less to clean up. I am forever picking the little trees out of my containers.:):)

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Living in town, with so many cats and dogs, I don't have any, squirrels, chipmunks or, thankfully, mice that I have seen as yet. I guess that's why I enjoy seeing pictures posted of them. As for tree seedlings I have many, many elm and box elder trees I pull each year.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I wish they would eat more of the maple tree seeds, AND the mimosa seeds too. I am forever pulling up those seedlings. While they are at it, they could haul all of those black walnuts out into the woods. I have been pulling up those seedlings too--I didn't get them raked up in time for spring. I toss the walnuts out into the woods when I find them though.

14. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

AA-I know what you mean about the black walnuts. We have several in our yard and this year looks like it is going to be a bumper crop. We rake them up and put them in the back of our garden trailer and haul them down to the woods. But I to am always finding squirrel planted walnut trees in my flower beds.

15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Around here you can SELL the black walnuts in the fall, but you really need a few truck loads to make anything at it. It is a lot of work to rake them up, and find a truck to haul them in. I dont have enough nuts to make that worthwhile.