Sleep Deprivation

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well then, with that night of unrest behind us we settled in last night for a good nights' sleep. It was not to be.

This time it was sirens not chirps. The fire wagons came right by the bedroom with sirens blaring, light flashing. It was dramatic, Usually one would just roll over and go back to sleep, but they kept coming--fire trucks, ambulances, police autos fire dept. shacks with generators, tv and newspapers....the curious neighbours. The drama played itself out from around 02.00 to 03.30 or so.
    The fire was across the street from us.

Here a few foto's:
    heet2.jpg

heet3.jpg

heet4.jpg

heet5.jpg

I may complain about being kept awake...but it is far worse for the folks that had to be evacuated and the seriously damaged flats. There were two folks admitted to the hospital with smoke inhalation but no deaths, thank goodness.

Palustris likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Frank
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh my goodness!! Fire terrifies me.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Whoops!
    Only time that happened near us, it was reckoned to be the biggest fire in the area since WW2. Huge timber storage facility, only half a mile from the house.
    We slept through it!
    Glad you were ok and no-one badly hurt.

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

How awful for those poor people. I'm so glad no lives were lost. It looks dramatic. I'm terrified of fires.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

NETTY--Big fires do make one feel odd. They are such huge and unstoppable things. A human feels small in the face of gigantic fires.

Thanks PALU-- We were close enough to see the dramatic scenes. There have been other fires over there...both auto's as well as in the flats. I don't know what it is with those folks there. These fires are an odd occurrence here, that is why they get so much attention.

DROOPY--Yes, that is the most important thing...that no lives were lost. I am always amazed at how many folks come to watch the home of another person burn.
    The bride and I talked about it as we stood on out loggia observing. To be fair though, I have to say that I was watching the logistical happenings as the fire itself was not visible to us, only the smoke. The neighbour man though, got dressed and left his house to go and have a closer look. That is typical of him though--he keeps his eye on everything in the neighbourhood. It sort of gives us a safe feeling in a way, knowing that he is ever alert for things that are unusual.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh My! Just terrible for those that are affected by it. Glad no one was hurt. I just saw a huge fire on the news in Kentucky at the stock yard in Lexington...7 acres of stock yards were burned and it jumped the road and burned a street of businesses. awful! for anyone affected by the loss.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good grief C--That was a real disaster in KY. It must have been huge.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is just awful.
    What huge proportions and those poor cattle. Too much.

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I feel so sorry for the people that have lost so much from the fire, Sjoerd, but so thankful that there were no injuries. Have they determined what caused the fire?

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We have not heard what the cause of the fire was yet.

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am with the others, fire scares me. It is just so unpredictable and the fireman are having problems in our state with everything freezing up because of the cold weather. I am glad that no lives were taken, we just had a family loose 3 of their 4 children towards Milwaukee, Wi. The parents were not at home (some church meeting, I think) and the eldest was 11 years old...I am not sure of the whole story but all of the community is donating money for a new home, etc. But of course no one can replace their 3 children. It was a terrible loss for them and for the surviving child.