So... this is embarassing

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by eclecticgarden, Nov 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

20151115_124410~2.jpg
    I really hate to put it out there, but this is what my garden looks like today. It was looking really good until I tore a rotator cuff early in the season. I never really understood how painful that injury could be until it happened to me. To anyone who has ever suffered with it - respect!

As you can see, the garden suffered as well. I am finally on the mend and feel like I can get back out there so I wanted to post this as a "before" photo. I'm hoping to have all of the weeds pulled out so that I can share an "after" photo in the next couple of weeks.

One thing I learned from all of this is that the rest of my family definitely doesn't share my love of gardening. They missed having the fresh vegetables, but not enough to get out there and work. Ah... the lonely life of a gardener.

2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ah EG......my sympathies!! I have heard rotator cuff injuries are very painful. Did you have surgery or did it heal on its own? I send you my best wishes for continued healing.

And, good luck with your garden!!!! The only good thing about a garden gone to weeds is that your clean up efforts will look spectacular in comparison. Do show us 'after' photos or even 'work in progress' photos!

BTW, I injured a tendon in the front of my shoulder. Not all that painful, but it has limited my activities significantly. It's a drag.

Best wishes for your gardening clean up. If I remember correctly, winter is a good growing season in FL for cool season crops, right?

eclecticgarden likes this.
  3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

My condolences on your torn rotator cuff....I've never had one, but several close friends have, and it was obvious how painful it can be, and how debilitating. One of my friends in particular is even more stoic than I am (and I'm pretty stoic!) and she was really struggling, which told me a lot!

I hope your gardening cleanup goes well. I hope (and presume too) that you're not going to push it too hard....your garden will always be there to challenge you, but your rotator cuff can only stand so much abuse! :p

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh my EG ... please don't over do yourself! Do a little section at a time and it will be done before you know it.
    If it makes you feel any better, no one in my family shares my love of gardening either.

Advertisement
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm sorry to hear about your rotator cuff but glad that you are healing. Please be careful and don't over-do. A little work at a time will soon get your gardens back in shape. Mike enjoys working in the vegetable garden but has no idea about caring for flowers. He would weed the flower beds but probably weed out a lot of the flowers thinking they were weeds. You might be ahead by everyone just letting the weeds grow!

6. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

Thanks for all of the advice. I won't over do it.

Cayuga - according to the doc it is a tear that doesn't require surgery, so PT was suggested. From everything that I've read it doesn't heal that well so I'm wondering how much relief can come from strengthening the muscles around the injury. It has gotten better, but it's far from good.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  7. leafylady

leafylady New Seed

Think about transitioning to raised beds or straw bale gardening. Straw bales would bring your plants up higher and be much easier to pull weeds from. I've had a straw bale garden before that worked out beautifully. If I were to have them again, I'd put out the bales now and let them "mature" over the winter so they'd be more compacted and ready to hold water.

8. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

Thanks for the suggestions leafylady. I've tried the straw bales before and didn't have a lot of success. I have a few raised beds scattered throughout the garden.

leafylady likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Embarrassing? no... this is just life. You'll do fine getting it back in shape, just don't overdo it. Slow and steady. I hope you feel back to normal soon, though.

10. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

eclecticgarden , Poor thing. You don't have to be embarrassed, we all have had trouble with our gardens sometime or another for so many different reasons. My old friend taught me to, "look forward". I love that saying. Forget the past and move on to the future.

I have had the same thing. I found if you just stop your world....and don't move at all. You will find great improvement in one week. That will give you the desire to stop moving that shoulder and arm. It may take 6 months but you can get better, without surgery.

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Sorry to hear about your rotator problem, I hope you are mending well.....I had a frozen shoulder. I was just getting dressed in the morning one Feb. day when I pulled it. At times, especially putting on my winter coat it still acts up...
    I was lucky enough to have help with my flowers, without my husband it would of been a mess. I bet you missed your garden produce...take care