Some of my modelmaking (mainly for the ladies)

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by devonpete, Jan 17, 2007.

1. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

While I'm digging through the photo archives here, I might as well show these three which, as they're all dolls houses, will probably be of more interest to the ladies. I'm not into the fussy business of furnishing them - I just like the challenge of capturing a style of building.
    [​IMG]
    Above: 1:12 scale Tudor house and corner shop
    [​IMG]
    Above: 1:12 scale cottage and shop
    [​IMG]
    Above: 1:16 scale 'The Boathouse'
    All the bricks on the top two models are separately applied (as are the ivy leaves growing up the lefthand wall of the cottage).
    The 'Boathouse' is a whimsical design, using remains of a derelict boat as a verandah. The side planking of the boat is missing, so the occupants can sit out there and doze in the shade. The door in the roof extension leads out onto the top deck. This seaside abode is imagined to be perched on the shoreline. There's a small beach below. I wouldn't mind a place like that myself.
    Pete

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Pete your attention to detail is amazing. You've got the Tudor house spot on!!! I've actually got photographs (somewhere :rolleyes: ) of a building that could be its double - right down to the lamp hanging outside. :-D You really must have endless patience to add each and every ivy leaf and brick individually. You're a lot like my eldest lad, Duncan, he makes models from the Lord of the Rings, even tiny little books and will spend hours making sure they are 'just so.'

Now that boathouse!!!!! How I would love to have a summer retreat just like it. :D

How big are your models and do you make them to order or for your family only?

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

What amazing detail Pete, you are one 'crafty' person that's for sure. Did you use Jigstones in these creations? How long on average does one take to make? DO you think you could build me a Gnome Home? :D Great work.

5. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Exquisite work, Pete. I love the Tudor house and have photos from my England trips that are just like them.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I like them all Pete. The boat house is great. I really like the Tudor house but I love the cottage and shop.....it would be fun to have a real house like that.

7. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Just found another view of 'The Boathouse'
    [​IMG]
    I don't build to sell now. They're too time consuming, and a realistic price for the hours that go into them is usually a non-starter for most pockets. I still have the cottage/shop here, but the other two were sold some time ago.
    Pete.

8. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I love them - I want to shrink and live in the boat house, right next to the cottage and shop. Marvelous detailing in the structures.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Pete they are fantastic.Jubabe will absolutely love these and she built one and furnished it electric lights and all.She has one she will be working on soon.I hope she takes pictures of it.Just beautiful pain staking art.

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You sold my holiday home? :'( :'( I was soooo looking forward to sitting in the boat reading a book and sipping on some chilled orange juice too. :( Never mind at least I still have your piccies!! :D

11. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Fantastic, I love them all. Oh to have the time to do all that I want to do.

12. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I love the boat house - the detail is amazing. I understand your point about the cost of hours being put into them. My husband does woodworking so I know how many hours go into things.

13. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Ohh I love your houses, they are really great!! I love building dollhouses!! I made one for myself but I really didn't have room for it, so I gave it to my niece Ladybug's daughter Kelsey!! I made all the furniture for it including a tiny aquarium, vcr tapes,a sega game console with controllers,a computer with the keyboard and mouse, tv's and an entertainment center and all the other household furnishings. I wish I had taken photos of it but I didn't!! I also made one for a lady and she paid me for it very well! My son Brandon gave me another dollhouse to build as a Christmas present. I'm waiting until I have my craft room back to build it. Ohhhh I can't wait.

14. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Adore that boathouse!