Some other garden visitors - here in N.E. Oz.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Bernieh, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

I thought I'd share some photos of a few of the garden visitors that have dropped by to visit in the last couple of weeks. Living so close to bushland means I get to see such a variety of wildlife.

IMG_8033.JPG

This is a Children's Python that came visiting just last night. They're a non-venomous, rather placid snake that we see a lot around here.

IMG_8025.JPG

This Brush-tailed Possum has taken to sleeping the day away in our gutter! No idea why. They usually don't sleep in such an exposed spot.

IMG_7692.JPG

Even when the rain is teeming down, this little fellow still stays in the gutter.

IMG_8007.JPG

A fully laden native bee, named Tetragonula carbonaria or commonly called the Sugarbag Bee. It's a stingless Aussie bee and you can see how it carries the huge bags of pollen on its back legs.

IMG_7999.JPG

Here you can see another of our native bees, the Blue-banded Bee. It's instantly recognisable with its iridescent blue stripes.

IMG_7869.JPG

I have no idea what this one is. It looks a little nasty though and seems to be trying to poach the meal from the spider's web behind it.

IMG_7872.JPG

The Brown Paper Wasps are building their nests all over the place right now. I seem to wander into one of them on a daily basis. They've got a nasty sting.

IMG_7814.JPG

Now these ants may look harmful enough, but let me tell you they have the nastiest bite. These are Green Ants and we have millions of them around here. They stick the ends of leaves together to build these enormous globular nests. You want to avoid these nests as much as possible.

IMG_7625.JPG

I've seen quite a few of these caterpillars around lately, ever since the rain arrived. This is the caterpillar of the Common Crow Butterfly, which is a very common sight around my garden.

Well, there we are. That's just a snapshot of some of the sights I've been seeing while wandering around my place here in the north-east of Oz.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your photographs are superb Bernie!! I really enjoy seeing a selection of wildlife from other countries. I wouldn't mind the snakes in the least but would be very wary of those ants and wasps. Many thanks for posting these shots for us.:)

Bernieh likes this.
  4. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Eileen, I'm only too happy to share some of the sights I get to see here. I think that's one of the best things about gardening, seeing all the visitors. I just love looking out for the creatures that visit.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Great pictures Bernie. Thanks for explaining them so nicely.

Bernieh likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Glad you enjoyed them, Donna.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Loved your photos and captions Bernie. Have you given a name to the possum yet? I'd suggest 'Gutter Possum' but I fear that's a bit unfair on the poor thing.

Are the markings much different on the Children's Python?

Bernieh likes this.
  8. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Lol, the poor Gutter Possum. Frank it certainly fits because this is the first possum that's ever spent the day sleeping there. They're nocturnal creatures and I usually don't see them during the day.

As for the python, as they grow older and become adults they lose the markings and become almost patternless.

Tooty2shoes and Frank like this.
  9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Nice to see wildlife in other parts of the world. I welcome snakes to my yard as the larger ones eat mice/voles which I hate.
    Seeing that fully loaded bee reminded me that the honey I bought yesterday came all the way from Australia. I bought it on sale and wondered why honey that came all the way to Canada from Australia was cheaper then the local honey. Weird.
    Great pics Bernieh!

Bernieh and Tooty2shoes like this.
  10. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Thanks Netty. Isn't it weird how some products that travel halfway around the world are cheaper than the ones that are home grown and produced! I just can't figure that one out.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Great photos Bernieh, we have some those insects here too. Here we call the Green Ants Fire Ants, I guess it must be from the sensation from the bites when one accidentally walk into it!

12. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

KK Ng, fire ants here are something entirely different. They're brown coloured and are really nasty. We have to report them if we ever see them. They're a South American ant that's made its way over here and is now on our state's dangerous notifiable pest list which means we have to notify the government whenever we spot them. There's an eradication program in place to get rid of them.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  13. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Bernieh: I wonder if that cute little Possum is sick? Usually when we have wildlife acting out of character it is because something is wrong with them. Hope not.
    But I do love seeing and hearing about your native wildlife. Here in Wisconsin we only have one ant that you really do not want to mess with. They are called Army ants and can give you nasty bite. Although their ant hills are easy to spot as they build a 6 or 8 inch high mound on top of the ground.

Bernieh likes this.
  14. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Love seeing your posts! The little BTP in the gutter looks so sweet. Love all the photos of the wild life. The ant nest is fascinating, as well as the other insects. Great post!

Bernieh and Tooty2shoes like this.
  15. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I really hope not. Feeling guilty now for my earlier comment :oops:

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  16. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Yikes! Those Green Ants are already nasty and I could imagine how nasty those fire ants are. Just thinking of it made my skin crawls.
    I can still remember very well that once while playing golf, one of my flight mate came running out of the bushes stripping right down to his underwear and started rolling on the fairway. He accidentally knock into a green ant nest while looking for his ball in the bushes!:smt005:smt005:smt005

Tooty2shoes likes this.