Some type insect or bug -- Eat all leaves off my plants!!!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by gsdruth, Aug 9, 2012.

1. gsdruth

gsdruth New Seed

I have yet to see what is eating the leaves off my potted hibiscus plants, trumpet plant and a few other plants I have on my patio that are in pots!

I have use the "home remedy" insect spray that was suggested on an earlier forum and it did absolutely no good. Today I bought a bottle of "Seven" insect killer. I feel helpless trying to fight something I can't see! I've staked out the plants in the morning, late evening and mid-day trying to get a glipse of what is eating my darn leaves! I've seen an worm on one plant which I promptly killed; but the next day more leaves were completely eaten. My trumpet plant is almost "leafless". Help!!!!!
    :scheming:

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, how awful! Why don't you post this question on Pests and Diseases forum, perhaps along with a photo of the destruction, and you may get some good advice.
    Sevin can be harmful to beneficial insects, like bees, so be careful when using it.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I moved it to the proper forum for you.

Slugs, snails and earwigs work during the night and sevin dust doesn't target them. Grasshoppers are bad in Texas this year too and the Sevin will affect them.

Get a roll of really wide carpet tape from Lowe's or HD and wrap some around the middle of the pots, it will deter the night creepers from reaching the plant.

Worms do not eat plants, what you saw was probably a caterpillar. Caterpillars will eat the leaves off of certain plants, each type of caterpillar has specific host plants that they live on. Eating the leaves will not kill the plant and usually they don't eat that much before pupating anyway. And I know it is distressing to see a plant being eaten by them but without them there will be no butterflies and/or moths to help pollinate your flowers and veggies.

Yes a photo of the damage would be helpful.

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

If you have rocks or wood or anything like that around your plants check under them. Earwigs will hide under them during the day. If it's earwigs, mix molasses with a little veg. oil and put in small lids around your plants. That will take care of them. I have grasshoppers eating all of my things. Peach trees have no leaves now.

dooley

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Gsdruth it sounds like the work of Earwigs. In the spring I had them eat all the leaves off of a couple of my columbine. :( I got out my diatamacious earth and sprinkled it around my plants and no more earwig damage.

Dooley I will have to try your remedy on those creepy little buggers. I really hate them. This year they are everywhere. But not eating my plants thank God. I wonder if diatamacious earth would work for grasshoppers. You can put it in a spray bottle and spray it on what ever. It works wet or dry.

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Maybe I'll have to try it on my grasshoppers. Would it hurt my dog if I sprayed it around?

dooley

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

GSD...Those giant orange & black grasshoppers were eating my Canna leaves and Elephant Ears a month or so ago. And something made the Ballerina Angel Trumpet leaves look like "lace" right around the same time. But now, they all seem to be doing better.
    All of your plants looked REALLY good when I was there a couple of weekends ago.
    I hope you get rid of whatever is doing the damage and quick!

9. gsdruth

gsdruth New Seed

Thanks Toni for moving my post to the proper spot. I got a lot of good suggestions and ideas as to what is eating my leaves. :D

I am now on a mission! I've worked too darn hard all summer to have some pesky bugs get the better of me and my plants! :twisted:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'll post before and after pictures of my sucess.
    GSDRUTH

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Dooley it will not hurt your animals or you as long as you do not breath in the dry dust, as it is as fine as flour. But wet is no problem. Even when it dries it will stay on our leaves. It can also be eaten by humans and animals as it is a good wormer when ingested. But for that besure you get food grade. It kills any bug with a hard shell as it cuts threw their shell and they die of dehydration. I love the stuff.