Someone help me identify this cactus disease...

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by perestroika77, Jan 27, 2009.

1. perestroika77

perestroika77 New Seed

Can anyone recognize the bulging spots circled in red?

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... isease.JPG - this is the link to a photo I took

I believe them to be inflicted by insects; pardon my poor photo-taking skills for the blurriness. They can be rubbed off quite easily leaving a brown stain. They seem to be robbing the cactuses of nutrition - clearly some parts are very dry and thin.

The yellow circles show a brown scarring also appearing on the cactuses. These, I believe were not insect-caused and do not rub off; they started to appear along with the spots I've described above.

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hello, Perestroika, welcome to the Stew. :D I had a look at your plant, but I'm afraid I haven't had anything like that on our succulents. Hopefully someone on here will know what it is.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Perestroika, welcome to GardenStew from north Texas.

I believe your plant is an Aloe Vera, they are in the succulent family and their main two pests are Mealy Bugs and Scale Insects.
    Those spots appear are caused by Scale Insects. You can wipe the red spots off with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol then spray the plant with a horticultural oil spray as directed on the packaging.

Hope you stay around, how about posting an introduction of yourself in the Welcome to GardenStew forum so we can all get to know you.