Something is tearing up my yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by Boots, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Boots

Boots New Seed

Last year something kept digging up one or two area's of my lawn, peeling back and flipping over large chunks of turf.
    Last night....it came back, with avengance, a large area has once again been attacked.....but funnily, it's the same area as last year.
    I have no idea what is doing this, can anyone shed some light.
    I live in Wheaton, MD, large yard, in the vicinity of the regional park.

Thanks.

2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Boots and welcome to our fine and dandy forums! :smt023

Sounds like you are having quite a problem there. Are they simply flipping over the top surface of the turf or are there tunnels? My possible guesses are moles, voles, skunks or raccons. Moles and voles will tunnel under the surface and skunks and racoons will only dig up the surface of the lawn.

Do you think you might have any of these pests in your area?

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Boots and a big welcome to GardenStew. :D If you'd lived in Britain I'd have said foxes or badgers but I think Frank may be right with either skunks or racoons. Pity you couldn't rig up a camera so that you could identify your lawn ripping critter.

4. herbmate

herbmate New Seed

Armadillos are notorious for this as well I had a customer that I put a new lawn inf for and they just ravaged it in the same couple of spots.

Advertisement
  5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I'm not sure if you have Armadillos but its very possible that is what it is like herbmate said.It could also be wild Hogs and they do lots of dammage.If it could be wild Hogs you do not want to meet them at night or for that matter anytime.

6. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

If they look like little bombs exploded and you have all these divots, it is for sure a skunk thing as they are digging for grubs. More apt to be skunks than coons and always a fall issue.

Grubs are more active and close to the surface as they feed on tender grass roots that are growing like crazy to store food for the upcoming winter. Rain and growth brings the grubs close to surface and skunks can smell them.

Get rid of the grubs by putting down an all season grubicide this summer after Japanese beetles, Chinch bugs and others have laid their eggs, and the digging will go else where.

Ron

Frank likes this.
  7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Ho Boots,

This time of year it sounds like skunks and they are after grubs. They will do a number on your lawn. I had one last year in an area I had not applied a grub killer. This year the whole yard gets grub killer. Last year I went around with a water hose and wet each divot pushing it into soggy soil. You can still apply grub killer but it will take awhile to take effect. If you use the "season long killer" make sure to water it in yourself. Don't wait for rain. I will apply ours this year when the ground is safe enough to walk on.

You may ask your local garden center when to apply it in your area. Around here it's before the forsythia blossoms finish falling.

Good Luck,
    Jerry

Frank likes this.