Sparrows (Birds) make a mess

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Cooldep, May 22, 2007.

1. Cooldep

Cooldep New Seed

Hello, I own my home and the people before me always fed the birds. Well the back porch was just covered with bird droppings. I just had it all cleaned up & repainted but "Their B-A-C-K". How in the world can I keep those sparrows away from my house? I don't want to hurt them but I swear they are bulling me :D
    Any help or ideas, please & thank you
    ~Paul

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Paul, welcome to the Stew.

Usually after a few days of finding no food out for them the birds will find other places to feed and leave your porch alone. But on the other hand a feeder placed well away from the porch can be a good thing since birds do keep the bug population down.

3. Cooldep

Cooldep New Seed

Hi Tony, thank you for writing. They have not been getting any more food for almost a year. See Tony the trouble is that they keep coming and sit on my porch railings and dropping their ***** all over the railings and the floor of my porch, real disgusting! Something has to scare them..If I had a cat I would tie him to the railing :-D
    I live in Revere,MA and the Sparrows are our small birds here..
    I moved their nest once and put it away in a field , up a tree.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Is it possible to enclose your porch with screening? That might be the only way to keep them off the porch. Birds tend to land where they want and poop where they land and having a yard also means having birds since they also eat bugs and flower seeds.
    Being a gardener I have never been interested in chasing the birds away so I really don't have any other ideas for you.
    I have 5 feeders and 5 birdbaths and there are times when my yard has no less than 30 birds at a time, ranging from 5 different kinds of sparrows to large common Grackles. When their poop lands on chairs or tables I also have a hose with a spray nozzle that does a pretty good job of cleaning it off.

Hope you can find a safe way to control the situation without having to resort to drastic measures.

Advertisement
  5. bethie

bethie Young Pine

You can easily catch them in a live trap made especially for this if they are a real problem. It catches two at a time. Let them loose on your way to work or at the mother-in -laws. 8)

6. Cooldep

Cooldep New Seed

thank you Toni & Bethie..I would NEVER do anything bad to any living thing, except mother In-Law (??living thing) but its just been a horrible mess to continually deal with. Someone once said that they used a plastic Owl. See I live at the Ocean & lots of neighbors have awful time with Seagulls. My car gets the "colored bombs" by seagulls but I just wash that off. Its harder keeping up with this crap. Thanks again though, great site here with dynamite people :-D
    ~Paul