Special Garden/Wildlife Moments.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sydney Smith, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. Firstly it is accepted that to we gardeners most garden times are special but I refer here to those "extra special" things we see or come across that particularly please us - surprise us - excite us. Hope this has not been done before but just an idea to help while away the time until we can get back at the garden again.
    Seems a good time to float it since before we know it we will be into Spring again - that time when so many exciting and eagerly awaited things begin to happen - the time to greet again many old friends - the plants and other things such as birds and insects that have been resting for winter.

Once it all starts to happen the excitement goes on and on all year with one new thing happening after another continuously. Do tell of yours. .

Just a few examples of what I have in mind - it may be when the first bulbs or herbaceous plants show through - first Rose buds appear - first fledgling bird seen - those sown seeds show - anything garden or wildlife that really gives you a "Special Moment". Hope it works and is interesting.
    Syd.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Seeing the first fledglings coming into the garden with their parents is always something that excites me. I love watching them getting fed by the adults.

Listening to the frogs in the pond croaking each night during mating season and then watching for the first tadpoles to hatch.

Getting glimpses of the stoat that prowls around looking for field mice and listening to the tawny owls as they call to their mates.

I look forward to the very first snowdrops (actually I saw the first ones this year just a couple of days ago) makes me think spring isn't too far behind them. Then watching as all my bulbs grow and burst into flower until the whole garden is drenched in colour.

I also like the special smell of the first cut of grass in the year.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

This morning on my way to the barn I saw a mature rabbit leave our flower bed and run across the front lawn. There is something so utterly joyful about a rabbit!
    The smell of earth--I tried to toss the compost pile today (too wet) but I got a whiff of dirt, good old plain dark dirt!
    Watching the birds come in to the feeders and suet cakes. Listening to the chirps and tweets early in the morning, and thinking about who is saying what--lovely.
    And seeing rose buds has to be one of a gardener's greatest joys.
    Good post, Syd!

5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen - Jane. Good comments these and all top favourites with me also. Speaking of Snowdrops I have just half a dozen in flower - also other favourites pink double and single dark blue Primroses showing - Arum italicum Marmoratum with its marbled leaves has overwintered well - Helleborus foetidus has just opening blooms. All very special with me is this Spring awakening when just about everything be it plants or wildlife is starting "to go for it" - its a start - great to see them and things can only get better. Syd.
    Edit. Blackbird is not this year.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frank and decorchic like this.

Advertisement
  6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Today I'm just hoping the ice storm does not cause too much damage. The trees are beautiful with the sun shining on them. Way to icy to go outside to check things out.

7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Donna. Sounds terrible. Certainly the best thing to do in such extremely unpleasant and also potentially dangerous conditions - stay indoors - keep warm - make those plans for better times ahead. Have a look at the seed catalogues and plants for sale lists. Spring is a'coming.
    Syd.

marlingardener likes this.
  8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I pass by a big name nursery on my way to work. I get excited when I see the semi truck parked out front unloading the first shipment of plants. :stew2:

9. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Syd, My seeds are arriving daily. I think OMG did I really order all this:)
    Got excited when I took kitchen compost out and saw my composters were working very well even in this cool. Going to have some good stuff for the gardens come spring.

10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi cheryl- Donna - all.
    Theres so many many things in the garden both plants and wildlife for us to get excited about. Walking around every day there is always something different - something new to see.
    Just at this moment my special excitement is looking for those green herbaceous shoots and bulbs coming through the soil. One very early (herbaceous) one I have is a plant named Hacquetia epipactis and this first shows with tiny (like strawberry flowers) yellow flowers immediately on the soil surface - its due very soon now. These increase and get bigger then the foliage starts to appear. The flowers last quite a time and as they age the yellow turns to the same green colour as the leaves yet still retaining their flower shape. Rarely seen I got my plants from the Margery Fish garden way back (in the seventies I think). Its well worth having though quite diminutive - certainly a talking point. To me very hardy also.
    Masses of interest to talk about here - hope it continues.
    Syd.
    Pics are Hacquetia epipactis - Primulas - Daylily shoots - Helleborus orientalis buds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]