Spider Mites on Miniature Rose

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by cherylad, Apr 29, 2010.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

While checking on the plants yesterday, I noticed that my miniature rose wasn't looking very good. (Just a few days ago, I was telling a co-worker how well it was doing and that it was full of buds.)
    Upon close inspection, I found it infested with mites. I quickly rinsed them off and then sprayed the plant with watered down Dawn Dish Soap, moved it away from other plants and put it in a shady spot.
    Is there anything else I need to do to save it from being eaten up? Would repotting help any?
    What intervals should I spray it again?
    HELP! :'(

2. Loading...

3. Bluewing0

Bluewing0 Seedling

I had an indoors mini rose and it to became infested with mites :rolleyes: (I think because of heat and low indoor humidity) so, I planted it outdoors and no more mites :-D
    It even came back the following spring, but then I went and moved it to another location, it didn't come back again :?:

Spider mites can be a real pain with miniature indoor roses, which are unfortunately, "spidermite magnets" as well as indoor ivy.
    The mites just seem to tag along with these plants!

If you want to keep them indoors, you can help control them by blasts of water, "especially" the undersides of the leaves. You'll need to get every inch of the plant blasted because if you miss any of the mites, they will be back,
    You can also try turning the pot upside down into a sink, or bucket of tepid water with some dish soap added (dish washing soapy) Holding the plant and soil in the pot as best you can while swirling the leafy half around (up near soil line) for a couple of minutes. Turn the pot back over and wait ten minutes or so, then rinse the leaves. Any soapy residue left on the leaves in direct sun will burn them, so rinse really well.
    Doing this at least once a week should at least help control their numbers :stew1:

4. cherylad

Thanks for additional info. This plant is/was outdoors when the mites got it.
    I think I saved it... but it sure looks awful right now. I'll keep an eye on it and baby it even more.

5. Bluewing0

Bluewing0 Seedling

Adding to the post... Keep the soil a little on the moist side. If the soil dries down too much, leaves can yellow and/or dry to a crisp.Try a little less direct sun too:)

Hope it does well for you!

6. cherylad

Thanks for the additional info... I've been babying the plant... and it's putting on some new growth. Maybe it'll make it after all!