Sprayed snap beans with cyfluthrin?? can I harvest?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Encoreman, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Encoreman

Encoreman New Seed

Hi all, new here old on this planet!! I have had some problems with squash bugs, small worms on my tomatoes and something eating my snap bean leaves. I bought Bayer vegetable & garden insect spray. I read the label and was in a hurry and I sprayed most of my garden. Then I thought to see if there was a harvest interval after spraying and found no info on snap beans. I called Bayer and the lady said it wasn't recommended to be used on snap beans. Now my question is do you think I can safely harvest and consume these beans? I sprayed them 4 days ago. There is no harvest interval on brassica, lettuce so I can't see it would hurt to eat the beans. All comments appreciated. Thanks Mac

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hi there and welcome to the group !!
    If it was not recommended for snap beans there must be a different reason. I can see no possible difference in eating lettuce after spraying and snap beans. Its possible that the reason it is not recommended is because the insects that attack them are different.
    I just read Cornell U. report on cyfluthrin and it said when exposed to sunlight it has a 48 to 72 hour break down so it seems to be safe. There report also said that the strength of cyfluthrin when used as you are doing is much less than some other insecticides. There is some toxicity in breathing the vapor. But it would have to be much more concentrated than spraying a garden. And it has no carcinogenic effect !!
    There are other insecticides that are much safer to use without the worry. But for now,,pick your beans and enjoy them before they get too tough. Mine are done for the year but I am letting whats left dry on the vine. Will use for dry beans.

Frank likes this.
  4. Encoreman

Encoreman New Seed

Thank you Mart, I pretty much figured it out, but wanted someone to blame if I got sick. LOL Just kidding. I appreciate the response. Mac

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

If it has to do with the FDA... every addition to the label can cost millions. Literally. we found that out with capt jacks dead bug brew? or maybe spinosad (and this is even organic) not labeled for drosophilla fly ( I think, I can't remember for sure which pest it was) because of the expense to add it to the label. The only time we were allowed to use it was with a special temporary usage label for that year since we sell our produce.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

LOL !! OK I will take the blame but don`t come to Texas with a big stick in hand !! The FDA has some stupid rules and regulations meant to confuse us !! Like our pasture spray (Round Up) requires a license if bought in gallons for pasture weeds but any one can go to Lowes, Wal Mart ect and buy it in yard, garden amounts with no permit for lawn weeds ! Does this make sense ?

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Carolyn,, you mean you have to have a permit/license to sell produce in your state ?

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

no, I have a licence to spray restricted sprays (there are different classifications, too. Mine is for the greenhouse Kevins is for the orchard)... commercial strength or not available on the market for just anybody to buy. I had to pass a test in order to show enough knowledge of what and how to spray for any kind of pest... insect or fungal. so, any product we spray that is restricted has to be logged in a book to show how much and what/where we sprayed a crop. in order to spray "off label" (because we sell the produce) the state will allow you so spray a product IF there is no other control for it. I understand but my oh my .... how would they ever be able to prove what anybody sprayed anywhere?....how would I be able to prove I didn't if they say I did?.... but in order to be as safe as we can just to protect ourselves we really limit any sprays or even restricted sprays to a minimum. we only use the minimum amount and follow the schedule for the number of sprays per season per crop per the label.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well.. at least that makes more sense that for a pasture weed killer !!