Spring is a Month Earlier This Year

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jewell, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    image.jpeg This week the clematis bloomed. I was thinking it seemed early, but I didn't realize how early until I checked out my garden here on the Stew. Another year of volunteer tomatoes in the garden. Today was a great day in the garden, but I am way behind since everything is faster than me.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Cayuga Morning
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh my clematis are only beginning to put out new leaf buds now. Spring has been rather slow in showing her face here in Scotland.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Beautiful! I am beginning to wonder if spring is ever going to get here! Flurries in our forecast for tomorrow!

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely! Clematis are a long way off here. We've had frost and snow for the last few days. It's melting during the day but we get more at night. *sigh*

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a weather you have--it is not much better here, Droopy...constantly changing ---rain to snow to sleet to rain ...etc, etc---and with an unrelenting wind.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I love the color of your clematis, Jewel. My small flowered clematis has a few leaves developing but the large flowered ones are still dormant

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I also meant to say how stunning that Clematis looks. Do you know which one it is?
    How is it growing?--I mean, is it on an arch, or trellis or something? It really is something to see at this early date. Lucky girl.

9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Thanks all for the comments. This is a volunteer clematis, probably a cross of two or more varieties. Wasn't one of my usual "nelly moser" volunteers.

Can never tell what the seasons will bring. Sorry Netty, Sjoerd, 24us, and Droopy for your continued cold temperatures. We had an incredibly mild winter with no snow...very unusual. Jet stream here is a bit wonky. Lots of blue skys.

Sjoerd, all my clematis are on trellises. This one is on a trellis up against the west side of the smoke shack and the first to show "it's stuff" this year. Having a few days in the mid 80s F probably hurried it along. More of the same weather this weekend.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Mama gave me 2 or 3 clematis last year and I wondered how they would survive the winter. They were looking great until we got hit with a hard frost and cold snap :( You should see a few of my hostas, they are pitiful. I know everything will snap out of it (eventually) but after seeing your bloom I'm more anxious than ever!!