Store seeds in fridge or freezer?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by MOFishin, Jun 30, 2016.

1. MOFishin

MOFishin New Seed

I just did a google search and different articles said different things. So, how do you store your seeds?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Seeds that need cold stratification go into a zip-bag with damp peat or damp paper-towel, and then into fridge.

Dried seeds go into a filing cabinet on an inside wall away from sunlight.

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. Tacticalgardener

Tacticalgardener Seedling

I've heard room temperature, away from heat or moisture (cool dry place). I've also heard for long term storage, in an airtight container or zip lock in the fridge. A lot of the "seed vaults" where they are attempting to preserve historic plant species seeds are refrigerated. Freezer may damage some seeds that can't get that cold.

5. kate

kate In Flower

Mine are usually in a plastic container with a lid. Only tropical seed of mine when I have any go in the freezer to aid scarification.
    K

Advertisement
  6. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Freezing seed sends it into deep hibernation. Even seeds which need a period of cold do not need to be frozen, only chilled. The best place for seeds which you intend sowing in Spring is the Salad compartment of a domestic refrigerator where they can be kept at about 40f. This of course assumes that the seeds have been properly dried before storing.Wet seed will rot even if frozen.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Most all seeds should go into the freezer for long term storage. Just make sure they are dry.

8. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Once my seeds are dried, I store them in my garage. It'll get pretty chilly in there, but never freezes. Annuals like marigolds, I just tie a bunch up and hang in the garage also. When spring arrives I take the whole bunch, and whack them against the inside of a thirty gallon pail.