Strange Jelly eater.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Tooty2shoes, May 13, 2016.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I have had other bird varieties enjoy the Grape Jelly I put out for the Orioles. Several Downy Woodpeckers liked the sweet treat as well as House Finches. Even a little Red Squirrel stopped by sometimes. But never this animal seen enjoying the grape jelly until yesterday. I guess he just had a sweet tooth that he had to satisfy. This Fox squirrel was really enjoying his tasty treat. DSCN3246.JPG

Frank, Sjoerd, Henry Johnson and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those little dudes will eat everything and anything. When food in the wild is scarce we have found them eating the gourd birdhouses and one was eating a plaster plaque I have hanging on the front porch.
    I decided to let them get to the peanuts and sunflower seeds now.

Tooty2shoes, 2ofus and Droopy like this.
  4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

We feed them sunflower seeds right now as food is pretty scarce. So no clue why he had to have some jelly. Like I said--probably a sweet tooth craving. It was pretty funny watching him as when he raised his head he had a chin full of jelly.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That looks like a whopper of a squirrel!

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am hoping mine never get a taste of the jelly....I go through enough with the birds. The Orioles have been here for a while and I noticed some black birds in the jelly so I am using more than usual.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

SJ-he is one of the bigger Fox squirrels that frequent our feeders. I guess it is all the protein their getting from all the sunflower seeds they eat.

Sherry--I know exactly what you mean. I decided to switch over to orange juice instead. So far only the Orioles and house finches like it. Plus it is cheaper that jelly. I think I may try Grape juice--frozen of course to see how they like that when I mix it up and put it in the dishes I have out for them.