Strange tree

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Donna S, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

This tree is just a few feet from my house. I've been noticing more looking like this in this area. Does anyone know why they grow like this? They look like warts

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I can not tell for certain from this picture, but they look like galls. Big ones! What kind of tree is this?

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Donna, it looks like a burl. Have you ever seen a bowl turned from a burl? The grain pattern is stunning, and the wood is so hard it takes a great turner to make one.
    Burls are usually not life-threating to a tree. Here's a link that can tell you more about them.
    http://forestry.about.com/od/foresthealth/p/disease_burl.htm

purpleinopp likes this.
  5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Kay, I have know idea what kind of tree that one is. But I have one in my yard that in a white oak.

Jane, I think your right. Thanks for the info.

[​IMG]
    My tree White oak ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]

purpleinopp likes this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Those are very expensive burls. Some top of the line furniture makers use burl veneer and many antique pieces were made with it. The most stunning grain pattern you will ever see. They are common to oak trees as well as other varieties.

purpleinopp likes this.
  7. Brisbane Trees

Brisbane Trees Seedling

Very nice burls but a terrible trunk. I wouldn't want it a few feet from my house. Each of those leaders wants to go their own way and there are inclusions of bark between each of them, causing weakness at each join.

purpleinopp likes this.
  8. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks mart and Brisbane for the info.
    I'm safe from this tree falling on my house. It will land in my side yard if it comes down.
    But I have a giant oak that is leaning towards my house and GH. It is coming down this week.

Brisbane, You have a very nice web site. I wanted to fill in the quote price and see what you would charge to take down this oak tree.:chuckle:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Brisbane, please explain to a complete novice what "inclusions of bark between leaders" are. Your expertise can teach a lot!

10. Brisbane Trees

Brisbane Trees Seedling

Sure. A normal branch has a 'branch collar' where the bark folds a little. However, if a trunk divides both 'leaders' will be growing towards the sky, so there is an acute angle between them. Bark can get caught ('included') in that narrow divide between the leaders as the leaders get thicker.

It may rot (which causes obvious problems), but even if it doesn't it means the two leaders are pressing against each other so that there are then forces working against each other. Further, and this is the main problem, the join can't get thicker like a branch collar can because the bark is included in the join, stopping the two sides meeting.

As the tree grows both sides are getting heavier and pulling the join apart. We have already looked at how that join is of limited size because of the bark.

Some species of trees will have these weaknesses naturally. Paperbarks often do, and they often fail there as well. Others may have inclusions at misformed branches, often caused by damage. I've seen trees with strong apical dominance (those having one central trunk) incorrectly pruned by 'lopping' the central leader form multiple trunks with included bark.

High value trees are sometimes cabled or braced to protect the leaders separating. It's usually more realistic to remove one of the two leaders (if the other can be left safe) or the previous leader or, if that was the trunk, the whole tree.

Netty, Frank and marlingardener like this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What a clear, concise explanation that even I can easily understand! Thank you, Brisbane--that is most helpful.

12. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. When out walking Oak trees especially being one of my favourites I always look at the trunks formation - so many of them that are branched lower down seem to get rot there. When I see one with a nice straight up trunk I always feel it has a better chance - have to say I know nothing on the subject its just my observations and interest. We do have some really historical old Oaks here in UK which have a particular incident applying to them - i.e. someone many years ago of repute may have hidden in them whilst being hunted/pursued - which are held together with ties, props and even in-filled with concrete. My over riding wish with all trees is " if only they could talk" - just think of what they have seen and the wonderful conversation one could have with them, especially a several hundred years old one - what stories and history they could tell. Syd.

13. aseedisapromise

aseedisapromise New Seed

I think a lot of folks are thinking similarly about wishing trees could talk. I don't know about the UK, but in the US a lot of people have those sort of Mr. Potato Head-like eyes, nose, and mouth made of a size that you can attach them to your tree and make it look like a face. I think there is a reason that people have worshiped trees.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+faces+for+sale&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

14. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Yes indeed trees have been worshipped and it must be said that they surely are one of the most important growing things on this planet for so many reasons - cannot say the idea of putting faces on them appeals to me at all - much as I love them - and I do.

2008_01060250.JPG 2007_10130018.JPG Just for interest - Mistletoe growing on Poplar and some type of Fungus on tree.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015