Strong,Dark Green Leafed.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Philip Nulty, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Chocolate,
    yes you are right about Verbascium,..its used as a remedy for shortness of breath,..as is Comfrey and Elcampagne,..but as this is the first season i have the Verbascium i wasn't really thinking of it as for usage,..though shortness of breath i only get when i run, :rolleyes: .

------------------------------------------------------

Hi Droopy,
    i only have two types of Primula that i am aware of,..Cowslips and Primroses,..so i might have got something through them as that's where this strange plant was growing,..still with strong winds and birds it could be from there as well.

I must start again with more Cowslips and Primroses,..they come free hereabouts!,..and they would grow well under the cover of all my rose bushes,..but Primulas i do like, :D .

2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I first posted on this plant in June 2011 the colour of the leaves and the shape didn't quite fit in with all the other Primroses,.. or Cowslips,.. nor did it ever flower,..however only yesterday i spotted there were flowers appearing,..surprise surprise,.. and not as expected,..which was some strange Primrose because the leaf is certainly Primrose in texture,.. though too dark compared to the other Primroses,..and certainly not a Cowslip as the leaf is too short and dark,..Eureka its a Hybrid,..Cowslip Bloom,..Primrose Leaf.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]

Compare the plant to these Cowslips and a few Primroses.

[​IMG]

3. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi, could it be primula vulgaris...I think it is native to your area.

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Chocolate,..i have Primula vulgaris,'Primrose',..and Primula veris,'Cowslip',..this has the appearance of Primrose,..leaf wise,.. however it is darker than all my other Primrose,..so i thought perhaps a different species of Primrose,..but now that the flowers appear and they are Cowslip,..i am thinking Hybrid as primrose and Cowslip do cross pollinate.

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That's pretty neat!

6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,
    i will be watching it close to see if the blooms differ from the other Cowslip.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, I am so glad it bloomed and there is at least an attractive flower on it after waiting so long for it. Thanks for the update.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    i was going to dump it but i find it very hard to dump something that remained green since i spotted it nearly 9 months ago.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I totally understand, but I do dump plants if they aren't performing as I want them to or as they are supposed to. Last week we tore out 3 huge clumps of lilacs and they went to the back compost pile. They really impeded the airflow in the garden...so, by by!