Stupid black bugs!!!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by stratsmom, Mar 20, 2009.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I bought a little peace lily from my friend's yard sale and it came with it's own bugs!!! These yard sale bugs infested my big plant :scheming: I got tired of watching these little gnat things flying around so I took both plants out to the porch and sprayed with bug spray. A few days later the bugs are still flying around and making me nuts! Last Monday was a very nice day so when I got off work I decided to repot these poor little bug infested plants. I emptied the dirt, washed both pots very thoroughly and washed as much of the dirt off of the roots as I could manage. Then I filled the pots with fresh potting soil. A job well done :-o Well, when I put the pots back in my bedroom I noticed 2 of these little gnat things on the mini blind. I lifted the mini blind and found hundreds of them!!! Not only were they in my flower pots but they were living in the window sill :eek: I took care of them right away!! I've never seen this before. I'm sure glad I found them and got rid of them or all the hard work and fresh potting soil would have been a waste of time!!

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I wonder what they are Deanna.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I don't know Glenda. They are little, smaller than a fruit fly. They must be a common problem because when I pick up plants at Home Depot they are just buzzing with them! The poinsettia I got at Christmas had them too. I just sprayed it and they went away. They must like the dampness. :sete_011:

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Probably Fungus Gnats...nasty little bugs!

Advertisement
  6. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I had these in my seedlings and used a solution of 1 pint tea from chewing tobacco, 1 tbsp of mouthwash and 1 tbsp of detergent. It seemed to work.

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

WOW!! WHAT A COMBINATION!!!!

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Really sounds deadly to me :) Its nice to know .

9. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Deanna, I have these darn gnats also. I thought I was going to help the enviroment and got a few house plants. I threw them all out, but the gnats remain. I have them most noticeably in my bathroom and office. I noticed one on my monitor and it appeared to have a red body. So I googled for a solution. So far, I have three small bowls sitting around my house (really nice looking !!) with a solution of vinegar and liquid dishwashing soap. They go in there but don't come out! :rolleyes: :D :D The items that I read said they like damp places and lights. I have a flourescent light in my office over my monitor, and of course the bathroom is damp. One article also said to use a drain cleaner as the larve can be in the drains. Do I did that this morning. I also plan to 'bomb' my house. I live in a single wide MH and will use three cans. They are making Lexi crazy as she also sees them. I don't think they are the ordinary little gnats that I have had in the past. And you are right, they are smarter than I am. They must have eyes that lets them see 360 degrees, cause they always get away!!!! :-x :-x :-x

So if anyone has a solution, please share!!!! :stew2:

10. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Deanna, have you tried anything to get rid of the gnats yet? Tell me you did and that it works! :p

Lexi was sitting on the foot part of my recliner last night (I was resting and had my eyes closed) and I kept feeling the chair move a litte every few seconds. I opened my eyes and saw a gnat fly in front of her and she was trying to catch it!! So funny. :D :D :D :D

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Gaylyn, we sprayed the nest or whatever it was in the window with houseplant bug spray. My husband went behind me, about 30 minutes later and cleaned the entire sill with bleach water. After changing the soil, washing the pots and repotting we seem to be gnat free. At least I hope so! :rolleyes:

I've learned a lesson, next time I will be VERY careful about bringing new plants into the house!

12. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Deanna,
    I 'bombed' my house Tuesday. Coming back after two hours, I expected to see dead gnats everywhere. Haven't seen a dead one yet. But..... last night, while watching TV, I saw one fly by. Ticked me off!! I still have the three small bowls out with the soap and vinegar solution. Maybe that is where the gnats went to die, cause the bowls sure have lots of gnats in them. I am going to change the solution today and fill the bowls again, and see if I can drown some more of them! :D :D :D I have my :fingerscrossed:.

13. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Good Luck!!!!

14. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

They are back! D@mn gnats. Guess I will have to call an exterminator. An expense I can't afford! :-x :scheming:

15. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Did you check your potting soil?? Can you move all your plants out for a few days?

16. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Regarding the darn gnats...I talked to my exterminator and he said that what I was doing with the vinegar was the right thing to do. Instead of using regular vinegar, use apple cider vinegar. Wow is it strong. He said if that doesn't work, there is something he can pour down the drains. The gnats lay their eggs there and this 'magic potion' he was talking about will kill the eggs, larve, gnats. I wonder if boiling hot water wouldn't do the trick. He said the 'stuff' costs about $50.00. Eeek! Will keep anyone with gnat problems updated.