Sturdy Seed Starting Trays?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by jonmark, May 29, 2015.

1. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

For the past two years I have bought the cheap, flimsy plastic trays to start my seeds in for the veg garden.

I'd like to upgrade to a sturdier model that I can move without feeling like I'm going to drop seedlings (that happened a few times this year!!! )

Any thoughts? Links? Pics?

All appreciated! Thanks.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Henry Johnson likes this.
  4. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Good question, JonMark....
    This may turn out to be a very informative thread...
    Hank

5. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

I thought about these clear polycarbonate food service trays:

[​IMG]

Pros:
    • Super strong polycarbonate.
    • Clear lid for mini-greenhouse.
    • Would last a lifetime.
    Cons:
    • Expensive ($20 apiece)
    • I'd have to modify the base to lift seed pods from standing water.

Advertisement
  6. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Last time I started seeds early I used old metal square and rectangle cake pans from the thrift store, don't think I paid more than $1.50 for each of them and they worked great. For a cover to keep humidity in, you can stick craft sticks (aka popsicle sticks) at each corner and a couple along the sides to hold plastic wrap up off the surface and above seedlings.
    I am cheap, I have also used the thick bags that frozen veggies and fruits come in. They have a flat bottom so they stand up.

8. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

Toni,

Funny you mention cake pans. That's what I switched to after dropping seedlings from the flimsy pans I bought.

I may just continue to use those. Just wanted to see what everyone out there used.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My thought about gardening is I do what I think my great grandmother would have done. No buying things to do what you can do with something you already have on hand or can buy cheap.:)

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I start lots and lots of seeds. I grow a greenhouse full. It depends on what I am starting ans how many I am starting. Starting seeds- I usually use recycled food grade containers ( produce containers are fabulous. They have drainage and a locking lid) I start growing on a bench with a heat mat. As soon as they are germinated I remove the container to a cooler spot... except for peppers. They like the soil warm. When I transplant they go into regular cell pac trays in the black webbed trays that hold the inserts. I don't generally move the plants around once they are planted in the cells. Some plants go into 4" pots and they also have black plastic trays specifically for the pots. I also buy clear plastic domes for the trays and start directly in the trays for tomatoes. They don't need heat, but will germinate a little better/uniform with bottom heat. If I am starting 20 or 30 trays of tomato seeds they sometimes go on a greenhouse bench and get covered with row cover to trap the heat/moisture to germinate right on the bench. Recycle from places that have seasonal garden centers that buy and resell plants to do this economically. They usually have stacks of those webbed trays and they throw them away. I have recycled those cell pack, too even thought they are very flimsy. New ones are the easiest to work with and if you are moving trays around... hold up better with the flats. they have more stability if you are handling the flats (at least like I handle them.. 2 or 3 flats at a time).

Donna S, Henry Johnson and Frank like this.
  11. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

So helpful Carolyn! Thanks.

12. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

Score! After reading Carolyn's post I remembered that I live near Metrolina Greenhouses and have some friends who own/operate the business. I asked a friend if they ever get rid of seed starting trays and he said he would grab me 4-5.

Here are a few pics of Metrolina- They're the largest greenhouse complex on the US Eastern Seaboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yep, Use what is free and free from a greenhouse is even better since it is exactly what is used for the job. good for you, too.

14. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I use anything that will hold soil and seeds. I like to use a lot of produce and bakery containers. Friends save them for me. And I don't feel bad about throwing them a way each season. Cake and pie containers work very well because of the domed covers. I can buy them from the grocery store bakery cheap. And they last several years.

15. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    When it gets closer to fall school start up the sales on large plastic containers gets cheap. Usually July and/or August. I have 8 that I've used 5-6 years and they are all the same size so stack nicely when not in use. Each fits on a shelf on my shelving unit. I think these were the kind that went under a bed. I like them because I can water freely. They were under $5 each and are sturdy enough for my uses.

16. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Jewell, do you put drainage hole in these containers and plant in them or do you plant the seeds in a seed starting tray and set it in the container?