**Succulent type plant with orange flower (Goldfish plant)

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by hopestar, Oct 26, 2009.

1. hopestar

hopestar New Seed

I'm trying to figure out what this plant is. It came from a florist, but I don't know which one and it didn't have a tag.

This is a potted house plant with small deep green thick leaves, like a succulent but not quite as plump. The plant also has small orange flowers, that are shaped like a pelican beak with a small hole at the end, so they don't really "open". The plant is very glossy and almost looks like plastic.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from hopestar's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from hopestar's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Karen B

Karen B Seedling

I think you may have a lipstick plant/vine. We had one like that at work in a hanging basket that bloomed every once in a while. The color was more red than orange though.

4. hopestar

hopestar New Seed

Goldfish plant

Whoa, that was really fast! It turns out this isn't exactly a lipstick plant, but it is in the same family. When searching for "lipstick plant" in Google images, I found a picture of my plant!

The one I have is a Goldfish plant.

Thanks!!

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I got my goldfish plant for Valentine's Day in 2008 (I think) It is still doing very well. Right now it is kind of dormant but will begin blooming again very soon. I always set it in a bowl of water and let it draw from the bottom. I don't know if this is the reason for it's healthy life but I'm not going to change!! I've started many new plants off of it by rooting one of the stems in water.