Sunbathing Tit

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sjoerd, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sometimes one sees things in the garden often and becomes so used to it that he forgets how special it is.
    A Great Tit sunbathing. I understand that it is to help them get rid of mites.

They have a certain place in the flower garden where they do this. It is a small hill and is apparently a good angle for them. Take a look at this--
    sunning.jpg

Jewell, vitrsna, Frank and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our birds do exactly the same whether they're wood pigeons or sparrows. Sometimes the garden looks like it's littered with dying birds as they spread themselves out. After sunbathing ours normally go to the pond for a wash and brush up. I've noticed that ants will climb aboard their feathers while they're prone on the ground - maybe they're helping to rid them of feather mites as the birds don't seem to mind them.

2ofus likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Not quite the same, but our hens will lay down in the outside coop, spread their wings, and seemingly go to sleep. The first time I saw this I thought one of our hens was dead, but she was just taking advantage of the sun and "spa time".
    Birds have such interesting habits!

2ofus likes this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have had chickens do as your do Marling. I wonder if it's for the same reason or if they are just sunning themselves.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I asked our veterinarian about the sunning habit of chickens, and was gently told that she did mammals, not birds! I'll have to contact Texas A&M and see if anyone there knows.
    You'd think anythings as fascinating and adorable as chickens would have a large body of scientists studying them.:rolleyes:

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya EILEEN-- Yes, I have noticed that our tits pop over to the birdbath for a puddle afterwards sometimes as well. I am pretty sure that the ants will remove the mites. I have seen film footage showing a certain type of jay or some other sort of bird especially looking for ant hills to disturb and lie on for exactly that purpose.

MARLING--I have seen chooks do this as well.

8. kate

kate In Flower

Great Pic...........:stew1:

K

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

With all of the birds we have here, I have not seen that. I thought yours looked like a dead bird Sjoerd. Very interesting and I will keep an eye out for any of this type of activity.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much, KATE.

SHERRY--It sure does look dead alright. hahaha. IO was watching it carefully and noticed when it spread its wings, it sort of wiggled and its head dropped as if he died, or fell into sleep. It is an amazing thing to see, and a bit mesmerizing.