SuperThrive question, apply once or do I keep applying?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by FountainMan, Apr 10, 2012.

1. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

I added SuperThrive to my veggie garden and the stuff works. The plants seem twice as big as when I purchased them a few days ago. However as I've never used it before I want to know do, I apply once or do I keep applying? I took a 1 Liter bottle of water and added about 2 teaspoons to it and only used half the solution among all 5 plants.

Thanks to all.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I was first introduced to SuperThrive years ago by the County Extension Service in New Mexico when I had some newly planted Pinon trees that were not doing well.
    It's not a food... but a "hormone boost". It's great on plants that are going through stress or shock. From planting, transplanting, etc. I typically use it 2 or 3 times a year on everything. Spring when they are waking up and summer when they are struggling with the heat and again in the fall.
    I do use it to "water in" any new plants.
    Also... from memory... that almost sounds like too much of it for a liter of water. Doesn't the label call for about a teaspoon per gallon of water? I doubt it will hurt the plant by using a stronger dose... I've done that before without any ill effects.

FountainMan likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have tried it and didn't see any great difference in the plants. So it got a thumbs down from me.

5. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

Works for me. My plants I bought the other day are already close to twice their purchase size. I just needed application tips.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

When I volunteered at a native garden at a college, the horticulturist used SuperThrive or its equivalent when we transplanted something, and only once.
    Since it's a hormone boost I would definitely use it when transplanting, then put it away. Plants that are "juiced" are more prone to diseases and pests, and less likely to fight them off.
    If your plants need help, a balanced fertilizer or rotted manure will fill the bill.

fatbaldguy likes this.
  7. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

Have used Super Thrive four years now..SWEAR by it! I mix GALLONS of fert's at a time, but only use 1/8 teaspoonful in mixture when I do..too much is NOT good! MY "holdover" plants get it in the early spring, again IF they start looking puny after and it HAS made a huge differnace! Same with veggies when used in accordance with regular fertilizers. Just read the directions on bottle, DO NOT go overboard with Super Thrive and you'll have fantastic results!