Texas brag--world heritage site

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Jul 5, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

San Antonio's Missions and the Alamo have been designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. According to a press release "World Heritage designation conveys a new level of international recognition and protection to unique natural settings, such as the Grand Canyon, and historically significant cities, buildings and monuments regarded as irreplaceable cultural treasures."
    This is the first World Heritage Site in Texas, and the first to recognize European influence west of the Mississippi (other sites are native American burial or dwelling sites, or national or state parks).
    We have visited the missions often, and can truly say they are irreplaceable cultural treasures!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great news. It's good to know that the missions and the Alamo will be there for us and future generations to learn from and enjoy.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We were there last summer and it gives you chills to walk through the 'Shrine' area and think about what happened there in 1836. Very glad they received this honor.

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have been there a few times and am very happy to hear about it being chosen as a World Heritage Site.

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wow Marling that is wonderful news. We have visited there also. I loved the history of the place. We also loved the river walk. We where there in May when they have the Mariachi Band festival. We sat in an outdoor bar and enjoyed the music along with a brew. I would love to visit again someday.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
    marlingardener likes this.
  7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think I have been there 4 times. The most recent was last year in May, really enjoyed seeing all the artifacts in the old Barracks, even found referrences to Randy's ancestor....he was the Quartermaster at the Alamo and died there.