Thank you Mr. Erlenmeyer!! (AKA, not your average rooting device for plant cuttings)

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, May 18, 2016.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I was prompted to start this post as another member was having problems starting Virginia Creeper(parthenocissus quoinquefolia). There were plenty in the woods behind our house so I snipped a few for rooting. A few weeks later:

cutting in the container(sometimes a IMG_5663.jpg IMG_5675.jpg

Next Plant:

The plant was getting very ‘leggy’ having been in the same pot for many years. It was time to repot the ends. Snip, snip snip had several segments ready for rooting. One of the easiest ways to propagate many plants is from a cutting. A cutting from a plant, a container, some water, add some time and the plant usually does the rest.

If you remember to monitor the juice glass or old jelly jar) roots appear. Success!! But what if you forget and the water evaporates? The plant shrivels and dies. :-( Enter Mr. Erlenmeyer and his creation of 1860.

IMG_9571.jpg IMG_9573.jpg
    Born in 1825 Emil Erlenmeyer was a noted Chemist during the mid to late 19th century making many contributions to theoretical chemistry. In 1860 he described a new laboratory glassware that today bares his name, the Erlenmeyer flask**. Conical in shape, it has many lab uses, but for my purpose it is a vessel for starting cuttings. Why a piece of lab glassware for rooting cuttings? I’m glad you asked. :)

•They are relatively inexpensive with many benefits.

•The small opening will decrease the rate of evaporation. This greatly extends the time between water refills

•The shape allows for ease of handling

• Low center of gravity assists in preventing an accidental tip over

• Extra strong lip prevents damage to the opening if the flask does tip over.

• Conical shape allows for easy viewing and monitoring of new roots

AND!!

• Your plants will really appreciate a really cool home while starting their new roots. Who knows, maybe friends and family may notice the unique flask. Makes for an interesting conversation piece, numbers and all. :)

Jerry

**P.S. Oh!! A very unusual twist that only effects residents of Texas, USA. It seems that the state officials have created a law that mandates a permit is needed to obtain certain chemicals and apparatus that are also are used by nefarious people in the illicit drug industry. So if you wish to obtain an Erlenmeyer flask or two or three, make sure you have procured the necessary permit before ordering your glassware. Permits can be obtained here. We are talking about item “I” on the permit list.

purpleinopp, Frank, eileen and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Interesting Jerry... now who wants viginia creeper? my goodness it is a most noxious weed here. I would gladly sent all I could have pulled and dug. happily. I was out spraying with roundup the other day and was spraying this stuff heavily.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I really like your threads, Jerry.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jerry, for rooting I use a small green glass vase purchased at the glass blowing shop in Williamsburg, VA. and as far as I know, it doesn't need a special permit. Mr. Erlenmeyer had a great idea, and I appreciate his efforts, but I'll stick with my green glass vase.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Gerry that glass has a lot going for it,..for someone always taking cuttings it appeals to me,..it will be interesting when i ask my local pharmacy for an Erlenmeyer flask.

I was using a similar shaped glass though it certainly wasn't a strong glass,..it fell a short distance and broke:frustrated:

Dec 7th 2015. 023.jpg

purpleinopp likes this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I get my cutting containers from our local bar. They are the little individual serving size wine bottles.
    plant starter 001 (Small).JPG

They also make good salt and pepper shakers.
    plant starter 002 (Small).JPG

8. kate

kate In Flower

Viginia creeper, we love it especially in the Autumn. Ours has tendrils (maybe your has). Its also called Boston Ivy.

Ours start green then it goes through the most beautiful Autumn colors like Acers.

virginiacreeper.jpg
    K

Henry Johnson likes this.
  9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'm tying to start some too. I have one old vine covering the kennel and want to plant a few more on the back fence. So far no luck. :( I use an old sauce jar as my rooting station :rolleyes: Your little beakers are adorable