The Butterfly House

Discussion in 'Garden Visits and Flower Shows' started by Sjoerd, Oct 15, 2014.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Great pictures. I miss them in our cold winters here in Iowa.

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much, Kosz. I miss them as well. It has been days and days since I have seen one here.

3. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

The third pair from the bottom photo (eating oranges) looks like Caligo telamonius or brasiliensis, i'm not sure. I think i can ID some of the others given a little time. I am being torn away from the computer now but i'll be back later to take a second look. That is a slap bang wonderful group of butterflies you have there! Wowser!

Frank likes this.
  4. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

I had to revive this thread so I can tell you how awesome those photos are, Sjoerd! We have a butterfly house not twenty five min. from us. I've yet to visit it, but now looking at your photos I will make it a point to go this year.

Advertisement
  5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

All your butterflies are super beautiful :)

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

VIT--I had not seen this posting of yours. If you come back on here, just know that I appreciate your comments.

Thanks for your comments, LICENTER--Those butterflies really were so lovely to see. I always enjoy visiting butterfly houses. I hope that you make it to your close-by butterfly house this year.

ISLAND--Cheers for the nice words, miss.

Islandlife likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Wish I had a picture but recently in stores here (feed mills, garden shops) I've seen butterfly houses. They look like bird houses except the opening is not round but instead a tall skinny oval. They're selling them in the same section as the Mason bee and Bat houses. I'm not sure if these are really valid viable houses nor have I explored with the sales clerks if these are strictly ornamental or functional but they are definitely new.

Would a butterfly really go into a butterfly house - essentially into a tall narrow vertical slit in wood?

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

ISLAND--They sell those little over-wintering houses here as well. They have little vertical splits in them. I suppose that they do indeed go in because the conservation people say that they work. I have never had one though, as I find the cost prohibitive. I could make one if I really wanted to have one. What I DO have is a garden house, and most winters butterflies over winter in there on the ceiling. I just take care not to bump them when putting things away or taking things out.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017