The forest of oregano

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Through the years the oregano has multiplied to a couple hundred plants. I never lack for the stuff. Now it is going to flower. I was wondering....should I cut the flowers off? Will I benefit from stronger plants? Normally I just let the plants do their thing. Maybe that is why I have a forest of plants. How do other people handle their oregano?

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Strong Ash

Jerry, I harvest ours so often that it's never flowered. I have found, however, with other herbs that after flowering the flavor changes, usually not for the better.
    If you can, whack the flowers off half the plants and let the others do their thing. See what happens. Gardening is a constant learning experience!

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Done!! The Queen of hearts would be envious....OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!! The other half is shaking in their roots.(pun intended). The air is permeated with the smell of oregano. :)

Jerry

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oregano is doing very well here this year. I usually cut of the blooms as soon as the color fades.

Advertisement
  6. Odif

Odif In Flower

We have oregano growing wild everywhere and sometimes we even harvest it as the flowering is just beginning or even better, just as the flowerbuds are starting to form. Normally a sunny warm day is best.

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I have no idea what is the "right" way to deal with the flowers but I dry them right along with the leaves. I love the look of them in the jar. Despite my neglect oregano is the herb that has spread when others have succumbed.