The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all. We still have temps in the 99-102F range (37-39 C) Today is predicted to be around 104 in some areas, then maybe one day of the weekend will be under 100.

Still trying to find my grandmother, she seems to have dropped off the planet between her birth (which is only found on 2 Census forms and her death certificate) and the 1930 U.S. Census. Found some info on my grandfather that his birth year is in question so I am using some new hints to see if I can find earlier mention of her that way.

Daughter is moving this Saturday, she is taking her sweet time in packing which makes me very short on patience. I will be biting my tongue a lot come Friday afternoon and Saturday....all day.

2. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Good Thursday morning. It is going to heat up here for the next few days. So it's time to just chill inside in the air conditioning. Hope everyone has a great day and a great day in the garden.

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Good day all! Finally getting a day or two of dry weather here so we were out in the fields today working with some hay bales :) Tomorrow is promised to deteriorate weather-wise again so it's good that we were able to save some hay this year.
    Hope your Thursday is turning out well :like:

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, don't bite your tongue--just tell her whatever isn't in boxes, suitcases, etc. will go into large garbage bags that she can take with her or not! It's a wonderful incentive:smt077!
    Frank, the fields around here have huge round hay bales sitting about, waiting for the trucks to come load. We don't have rain in the forecast, so the bales are safe. With the spring rains we had the hay harvest promises to be the best ever.
    I did my town chores today--collected honey money from the hair salon that sells it for us; did grocery shopping; and picked up some sale items at a local store. Now I'm home with chicken breasts marinating for dinner and watching (supervising) my husband as he makes a new built-in bookcase for the living room.

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Friday at last! Good morning all, currently 18°c and breezy. Well, hopefully this will be the last day of dragging hoses for a while ... rain in the forecast this weekend. We had some wonderful looking duck manure delivered yesterday, so I will be spreading that out over the herb and veggie gardens today, as well as watering the lawns and gardens. Grass cutting to do tonight before the rains come and hopefully canning this weekend. Have a great day all :)

6. toni

Good morning all. Today is moving day, daughter has boxed up everything she needs.....I hope but then it's just a 5 minute drive back here to get anything she forgot. Her room will not be empty though, if she was moving into her own apartment she would be taking everything. But next week Randy and I will be boxing up the rest and 'taking over' the room :cool:

Talk to you all again later this afternoon

7. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 19°C and sunny with a good breeze. I am thankful for the bit of rain that fell yesterday ... my gardens were parched and my rain barrels were empty. Not too much rain, but it helped and also cooled the temperatures. The rain barrels are about half full now and more rain expected tomorrow. Today, I am canning the beans I picked this week and looking for zucchini recipes as there are 10 on my counter. I want to stuff a few for dinner, and maybe grill some tomorrow. Lots of housework to do while the beans are in the pressure canner. Have a great day all :)

8. Netty

Good Sunday morning all. Currently 19°C and sunny. Got the beans done, but there is more to pick already. Stuffed 4 zucchini's for supper and still have 6 on the counter so I'll be looking for recipes. No rain here yesterday, but thunderstorms for this afternoon. Watering, laundry and pea picking today and maybe a bit of work on the wood pile. Have a great day all :)

9. toni

Good morning all. The move yesterday took a lot less time than we had anticipated.....it is was trips to stores for various supplies, and a desk chair and a book case that wore us down. At least yesterday wasn't one of the hottest days we have had, only 97 for a high. Certainly seems strange to know that she isn't in the room she lived in for 28 years and for the first time in those 28 years her room was totally dark last night, she always has to have a light of some sort on.

Now to get the house back in order, things were shoved into other rooms and corners so the stacks of boxes could be accommodated.

10. Netty

Good Monday morning all. CUrrently 17°C and overcast. We were in the path of an alleged tornado last night! Nothing worse than knowing that, especially when it is dark and you are already in bed! It was quite a storm, the house was shaking, but we didn't lose power. I wont know if there is any damage until the sun comes up. I was most worried about a little sparrow that has a nest with 3 eggs in my pea vine out in the garden. I do hope her nest wasn't blown out and her eggs broken! I will check on that as soon as it is light enough and right before I leave for work. I'm sure there will be damage at work ... there are so many old trees there. More storms in the forecast this afternoon so it should be an interesting day. Heres a shot of a storm cloud from earlier in the afternoon. Have a great day all :)
    DSCF4669.JPG

11. toni

Good morning all. More 100+ days coming up and the high humidity level is returning....oh the joys of summer. One weather prognosticator is saying we will have at least 105 for most of this coming week.

Netty, that does look like a Wall Cloud and the funnel was possibly rain wrapped, which make them impossible to see. One like that chased us last May when we left Abilene heading for home on our anniversary trip. The highway eventually turned more to the north and the storm stayed on it easterly path causing a lot of damage to towns south of Dallas.
    Hopefully you don't have much damage and the nest and eggs are safe.

12. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently 17°C and clear. Thankfully no damage other than some branches down and a few plants blown over. That was the worst storm I can remember for a long time! There was a confirmed tornado that cut a 9 km swath through the countryside and tore the roof off 2 homes in another town, and many surrounding towns had severe damage as well. We were lucky. Here is another picture of that shelf cloud over the Lake taken near my work - photo credit to Brandy Cooper
    Jacksons Point August 2 2015.jpg
    Off to work and hopefully catching up on some weeding and pruning while the ground is still wet. Have a great day all :)

13. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Good morning all! We had some heavy rain with strong winds last night. No damage though thankfully. Still pretty windy today also.
    Hope you all have a relaxing day ahead :stew2:

14. toni

Good morning all. Well two TV weather forecasts are agreeing that this will be the hottest week of this year ...starting with a high of 101F / 38C today and reaching 108F/42C by next Monday. And there is no measurable rain in the forecast for at least the next 20 days.
    One of my rain barrels is empty, two are really low so the other two will have to pick up the slack for the duration. And wouldn't you know those two do not have pumps on them to help getting the water easier and quicker....but they will before next Spring!

15. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently 15°C and the moon is glowing! Its almost light our there from the light of the moon. Up and off to work. It has been a nice change not to have to water things after the past 2 weeks. Weeding, deadheading and pruning on the list for today. Have a great day all :)