The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Thursday morning all. Currently 17°C and cloudy. Yesterdays thunderstorms passed us by without leaving a drop of rain ... sigh. Things are getting crispy and this heat is really starting to get to me. No relief in the near future for the heat or dryness, so it;s another day of dragging hoses and following the shade. I can see now how Toni feels when the heat is relentless and the rain constantly passes you by. I am not enjoying this summer!

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good morning all. Water seems to be our main topic of conversation this morning around here ..... it did rain yesterday late afternoon and there was .33 inches in the gauge to report. And we have a water leak in the wall behind the sink. AAARRRRGGGG.

Islandlife the soap I make is the melt and pour variety. You cut up the chunk of goats milk base, melt it, add fragrance (color and botanicals if you want) then pour it into molds. I posted this.... http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/other-than-collecting-junque-i-make-soap.36489/#post-331524 back in December with a photo of some of the soap.

Islandlife likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Toni--Tell me about those Danish butter cookies please. When we go to Denmark we always buy the Snegle. I am always so focused upon those I have never taken the trouble to discover the butter cookies. They sound delish.
    So please tell me about the ones that you are making.

4. toni

Sjoerd, I don't make them, I just buy and eat them by the can full sometimes.
    http://www.royal-dansk.com/products/tin-varieties/

Thankfully no one else in the family likes them so I don't have to hide them or cause great bodily harm to anyone who tries to eat them.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Cayuga Morning likes this.

Advertisement
  5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It's been a noisy day here today and not the first one. That EAA air show is all week. Sunday they started arriving and they'll leave on Sunday. There are hundreds of planes in and out and flying formations. We watch the planes when we are out walking. It's pretty neat to see them flying formations and doing dives and circles, etc. Things are pretty settled and we will be off to see wannabe on Saturday. We will stay a couple of weeks. We will take the train from Milwaukee to Chicago to Springfield, Illinois. Our son will take us to Milwaukee. I'll take my small laptop so I can try to stay in touch. dooley

6. Netty

Good Friday morning all, TGIF! Another day of watering and dragging hoses, and doing a rain dance. I look forward to the end of the work day today, to come home and have a cold drink and putting my feet up. Tomorrow I am treating myself to a day out at the Horticultural Society's yearly garden tour and I can't wait! But I have to get through today first! Have a great day all :)

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh, heh, heh....allllllllllllll for you alone. Oh, that's great.
    I went to the website. They look good to me. I shall take special note next time I go up to Denmark. Cheers mate.

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Netty....your rain dance paid off!!! At least it did it the northeast! It started raining sometime during the night, a perfect gentle rain. I lay awake listening to it, imagining my parched plants drinking it up! Am I a gardener or what? I am doing a happy dance.

9. toni

Good morning all. Our rain lately has been more like Mother Nature throwing out the wash water than an actual rain....just enough to leave the plants begging for more. But that's coming to an end this weekend with no rain and 100+ temps back in the daily routine.

After tearing out part of the back wall, pulling up the bottom of the under the sink cabinet we found the leak....a drain pipe from the kitchen sink to the main line. We had come to the wrong conclusion yesterday that the only logical explanation was the dishwasher line leaking, until late last night when Randy ran water in the kitchen sink to wash the blender for this morning and heard a rush of water under the cabinet. More of the back wall came off and there was the dripping pipe. Now the plumber has been called but he told us yesterday that it would be Monday or Tuesday before he can be here. We will be using disposables for eating or eating out since there is no way I can wash cooking utensils either. Yeah, I know, I could use the bathroom sink for washing up .... but I don't wanna. This will be my vacation from cooking, we haven't been away from home since April so I am going to take advantage of this situation and get a break from cooking.

Frank likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Enjoy your break, Toni! When we were remodeling our bedroom I tried to pull "I can't cook under these conditions" but no one believed me.
    We've enjoyed 3/8" rain since Tuesday, but today it's back to hauling water to the plants I want to survive. The hens are slurping up water at a great rate, too.
    Tomorrow there will be herbal vinegars to make, and I hope some parsley to freeze. The kitchen will sure smell good!

11. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Very windy here today but the sun has been out and the temperatures warm and balmy.

12. Netty

Good Saturday morning all. Currently 15°C and cloudy. My rain dance didn't work, we didn't get a single drop of rain. Next rain in the forecast isn't until Friday!
    I'm heading out on the Garden Tour soon. I am curious to see how others are dealing with these dry conditions. I have my camera packed and we are ready to go!
    Have a great day all :)

13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I hope it is a good one Netty! Enjoy!
    We had a rain yesterday....we still need so much more, but it has helped.
    Today my husband & I are heading out for a bike ride.

14. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Have the oldest daughter visiting from Quebec for a week. We're off for Sushi lunch and, if time permits a walk along the beach :) :)

15. toni

Good morning all. You just never realize how many times you use the kitchen sink drain until you can't use it. o_O Plumber will be here Tuesday, we did actually buy food that can be heated up in the microwave in paper bowls and lots of deli meats and cheese for open faced sandwiches for a couple of nights. Tomorrow morning we will meet our oldest daughter at a fairly new local cafe for breakfast. She has an apartment full....her oldest son and his girlfriend are living with her and her youngest son for the summer between school semesters and Amy has a service dog so that's 2 dogs, 3 young adults and her in a smallish apartment....she is going crazy with the crowd. If she has no other plans we will go to a local antique/junque shop after eating and maybe a book store to give her some time away from the maddening crowd.
    Another hot and dry one here.

stratsmom likes this.