The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Sunday morning all. Currently -5°C and snowing. I took the dog for an extra long walk this morning, and now he is snoozing on the floor beside me. I'm sure he will be up soon, and full of energy. My daughter wants me to take her to a new store in the next town, and I think I'd like to hit the craft store, so if the snow stops soon we will head out. Since we have a big snow storm set to blow in on Tuesday, I need to make sure I have lots of cardstock and vinyl for the Cricut projects we will be sure to do while snowed in. Have a great day all :)

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Morning all. From the long range forecast I saw this morning I have maybe a month and a half to get all my gardening done before real summer sets in and I am stuck in the house until October. Hope some plants show up in the garden centers by then or all the plans I have been making are for nothing.:(

3. Netty

Good Monday morning all. Currently -9°C and snowing again. Snow has not been in our forecast, but it has been snowing non stop anyway! Good excuse to stay in and clean or work on planning my garden, or playing with my cricut machine! Have a great day all :)

4. Netty

Good Tuesday morning all. Currently -4°C and overcast. All of southern Ontario is under a freezing rain warning this morning, and so all the school buses have been cancelled. I had a look at the future radar map and it seems it wont hit us until about 2pm. It may bring significant ice damage before the temperatures warm up to above freezing tonight. We have everything we need in case of power failure. Darling daughter has declared today a 'crafting day' and I am curious to see what she wants to create. But first she has to crawl out of bed! Have a great day all :)

Advertisement
  5. toni

Morning all. On the extreme other end of the weather picture, we are sunny and 70deg. That doesn't thrill me any more than Netty's future ice storm thrills her :( But sometimes Mother Nature has a truly warped since of humor.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sorry Toni, but Mother Nature is being kind to us! I planted some onions this morning, sifted and added compost to two vegetable beds, and have grand plans to finish cleaning out one of the front flower beds. The paper whites are in bloom, and I'd like to be able to see them!

7. Netty

Good Wednesday morning all. Currently -5°C and the sun has just come out! The ice storm wasn't as severe as they had in the forecast, but the ground is a sheet of ice and the buses are cancelled again this morning. We took our regular dog walk this morning (as if Sargent would let me get away without one ha!) but it was slow going. I did not fall down!
    Not sure what is in store today, probably more cleaning and a bit more crafting with my daughter. Have a great day all :)

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Had a great morning! Husband trimmed and mowed the back yard while I played in the dirt. We now have onions, carrots, broccoli and spinach planted, and both of us are sore! Spring can sure hit a body hard . . . .
    I'm roasting buttered pecans for Valentine's gifts for two diabetic friends, and will make home-made chunky applesauce to go with the gingerbread for other friends.
    A day of planting and baking--who could ask for more?

9. Netty

Good Thursday morning all. Currently -16°C (BRRRR!) and sunny. Such a difference in our worlds MG ... You are gardening and cutting grass and I am frozen to the core and trying not to fall down on the ice that is my driveway! See that 'shiny- ness'? That is ICE and it made for a very slow dog walk!
    Ivy drive 2.png
    Off to do my errands and shopping as soon as the sun warms it up a few degrees. Have a great day all :)

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, having lived through the ice/cold/snow/wind winters, I can sympathize with you, and only admire your tenacity and survival strength!
    It was colder here today--didn't get above 55, so I waited until noon to water the seed beds and transplants.
    We had a bunch of robins come in to get a drink and examine the surroundings. Here is one that is no longer thirsty! If we are getting robins on the move, it won't be long before they start arriving farther north. Robin on waterer.jpg

eileen likes this.
  11. Netty

Our Robin's never left this year MG! I have seen a large flock of them the entire winter!
    Good Friday morning all. Currently -11°C and snowing. It started snowing yesterday, and is still snowing today. My daughter had hoped for a snow day, but the roads were all clear.
    I need to vacuum and dust today - the woodstove seems to be messier than usual. Have a great day all :)

12. toni

Morning all. Another couple of days in the 70-80 deg range then cooler temps return for a few days next week.
    In the States we will have a Full Moon (the Snow Moon), a partial lunar eclipse and possibly be able to see a pale green comet zoom through the night sky. The eclipse will happen right after sunset, the moon will turn shades of gray and the comet zooms by about 3 a.m.

We are taking off for the weekend, no junquing this time, just getting away from home, will be back Sunday afternoon.

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, enjoy your get-away trip! Somehow you will find an interesting little shop to do some nosing around. If you do, I hope whatever you find is just perfect.
    Today was pea planting day--sugar snaps, and shelling peas. I up-potted some tomato and pepper starts, and got both chicken coops cleaned and new nest box shavings in. Of course, the hens will toss out the shavings and lay eggs on top of the nest boxes or in any of the craters they have dug in the coop floors. The newer hens just don't grasp the idea of "nest box" but they sure have the idea of "whoopee, let's toss all these shavings on the floor!".
    Hope everyone is having a great day, and that all in the US northeast is safe, warm, and not snowed in.

14. Netty

15. Netty

Good Saturday afternoon all. Currently +3°C and overcast. It sure is nice to have some milder weather! Maybe, just maybe, some of the ice will melt off the decks and pathways and I might be able to get to the composter to empty my buckets. I also need to get out to my gardenshed to get some wood for a project I want to try. Snow is deep, and my snowshoes are IN the shed. I will have to put more thought into that next fall when I clean up! Have a great day all :)