The oval shaped garden.

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by S-H, Jun 28, 2015.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I was thinking of designing a new garden somewhere, in a new place. So I thought why not try something unconventional? Something that hasn't been done before, at least not to my knowledge.

So I thought of the perfect oval shape. Mathematically, as well as practically, the oval shape isn't all that easy to apply. Yes one can make approximations, but making a balanced oval and that too on a very large area, can become a challenge.

In the old times when it came to geometry or making engineering drawings, we used something called an ellipsograph, (please google it up if you don't know what it looked like). However, one cannot apply it to the garden which can be 250 feet wide! Also, after the arrival of CAD (computer aided designing) in the last quarter century, things like the ellipsograph aren't even sold in the stationary and art supply stores anymore... As everyone today seems to be content with drawing everything with their PCs. :(

So what do you do? Well, I got the answer from this video (see below)! :D Now the only problem is, how practical is it to place 3 poles in the ground (to work like the nails), and I myself take the position of the pen/pencil, (while handling a long rope that will be functioning like the string). When seen from the air, it will be a garden unlike any other!!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. ashcats03
      Replies:
      Views:

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That is an ambitious job! Would you plant it to be viewed at eye level (a walk through) or by air? I think it would be fun if it was going to viewed by planes but I wouldn't have any idea how or what to plant that would look interesting from above.

4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

The portion of land where this may get done is on 3 to 4 very large terraces on the side of a hill, (on different levels), with a water stream passing through the lowest level. So on one level there will be a house/mansion, on the other one there will be a work area, perhaps a helipad too, (where equipment can be stored and repaired). While a patch for vegetables and fruit will be on another level. So this garden will strictly be for enjoyment, and will be able to be viewed at eye level, as well as from a little elevation if one would go to it by car. However if approached by a helicopter, then sure, every time it will be seen by the air! But this isn't likely to happen often.

There is by the way no point for it to be viewed by passing aircraft, as they will pass over it in seconds, besides, they don't fly very low in hilly areas... So what I meant to say when I wrote "when seen from the air" - I was actually thinking of flying security drones, and perhaps satellite pictures from Google Earth... Helicopter flights to and from this place will be very rare, even though there is provision for a helipad in the plans.

By the way, see this interesting animation too, as it really opens up the mind:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Tooty2shoes likes this.