The seasons last hurrah needs a name

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Jerry Sullivan, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

As the nighttime temperatures send the birds to packing their bags and making reservations in warmer climates, this flower thinks about setting buds. When the chipmunks fill their winter shopping baskets with nuts and seeds, the buds of this flower begin to break open. It has flowered as late as early November but it has never flowered in September, with 9 days to go, early October seems a safe bet. A friend gave me this 26 years ago and the plant’s name has vaporized in the intervening years. I call it the seasons last hurrah for lack of anything better as it is the last flower to bloom in the garden.. This year true to form the buds just sit there. Plants around them are digging in for the winter. Anyone know its name??

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Frank likes this.
  4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

It looks more like the Montauk Daisy as I already grow Shasta daisies. It is the plant trunk that was confusing and it now has an explanation. Years of pruning has the trunk of the plant gnarled and twisted. I didn't want the plant to take over the area, so in the spring I wait for the first growth and then prune the rest.
    IMG_8831.jpg

Thank you for the ID Toni.

Jerry