The Third Annual Gardenstew Phenology Study

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Mar 28, 2015.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

December 20, 2015

Not the first time this one bloomed but the latest it has.
    Clematis 'Ville de Lyon'
    In case you can use this info for anything.

2. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

While Clematis 'Ville de Lyon' is a rebloom, it seems to be late to the party. It will be interesting to see if it blooms on schedule next April.

Jerry

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It produced one lonely bloom in April this year but then the rains stopped and the heat and drought set in and the vine died back to the ground....I hoped it was just resting a while and had not given up the ghost. With the rain that finally arrived in October and the Fall temps that didn't show up until November here, it started growing again and then the bloom!! Growers who put labels on plants that say something will rebloom in a specific month never spent the summer and fall down here....they bloom when the weather finally allows them to flourish again.

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I never noticed this post before...too bad it ended. I understand everyone gets busy in their gardens and life and it would be easy to forget when something blooms.

carolyn likes this.

Advertisement
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I had no idea what "phenology" is, and thought someone had misspelled "phrenology" (the so-called study of bumps on people's heads). Glad to know it is altogether different.

I have never thought of writing down dates for when things bloom here. But my red-flowering quince (there should be pictures of some in my garden pictures) is still not blooming this year. I have never had it do that. It generally blooms in late February, about the same time as my forsythias. My forsythias and daffodils are in full bloom. The forsythias did open up today or yesterday? The red flowering quince have leaves, which they do after blooming. Usually the honey bees go nutso for them. I have not seen any bees yet this season. There are a few flower buds, but normally they are full of buds, and will bloom more than once if they get frozen off.

Well, the Dame's Rockets are beginning to shoot up for blooming early next month.

6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ann my forsythias have only now begun to flower. They usually bloom in early February but this year it's the end of March. :shrug:

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Snowdrops began budding 1 week ago. Nothing else is stirring.