There Are Thieves Among Us!!!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by hummerbum, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@Netty - it is Hummerbum who has the loss ;) (but I replied right below first)

@hummerbum - it IS/WAS a violation. It was somebody intruding into your own personal space and to have it happen after all the work, thought, creativity that went into creating your own special spot is really upsetting and dis-heartening. Hopefully you'll be able to re-create another spot that is even bigger and better :) :) (and alarm it so you'll know if anybody is messing with it) :like:

Netty likes this.
  2. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

hummerbum all I can say is :eek::(:crying::mad::mad::mad:. Totally upsetting I agree. Too bad you couldn't tie a string onto the plants and when someone picks it up it triggers a recording that say's: Put that plant down and I won't shoot. Motion activated lights would be a good idea.
    carolyn-I would not be able to do the poison ivy barrier. I am very allergic to it.:eek: But it would cure them from stealing any plants, Heee,heee,heee. All you would have to look for is someone with raised red welts all over their legs and arms.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  3. kate

kate In Flower

There is nothing I can say that other friends here have not said Hummerbum. My worst nightmare would be a thief via the horrid bin run should come calling, I do have a bolt the other side of it.

Thieves can enter my home if they like and steal things like the TV or computer but I would never get over theft of my tropicals.

I am so sorry Hummerbum for your loss. Can you buy Pyracantha plants they are so thorny vicious with the reddest berries.

Pyracantha Shrubs
    Pyracantha, also known as firethorn, is a tough evergreen shrub known for its decorative berries that ripen in fall and persist on the plants throughout the winter. It is a thorny shrub, but still a very popular hedge plant, and is useful where an impenetrable barrier is needed.

One idea if its allowed is nails point up, or chards of glass cemented on top of gate or fence.

I also think taking Images as your garden grows is important, something to show the plants are yours in any enquiry.
    K

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good idea, Kate---Gorse would also work, wouldn't it.

I do not know if you have the means of keeping intruders out of your yard and I do not know if fencing is an option or not...but there must be some way of protecting your little babies. It would be good if you could put up some camera's to film the interlopers. You would have to cover the red light though, otherwise the miscreants would know they were being filmed.
    This was a terrible thing that happened.

Cayuga Morning and hummerbum like this.

Advertisement
  5. kate

kate In Flower

Yes Sjoerd Gorse would also work.
    The security cameras I forgot those.
    An alarm with like 5.000 decibels should see them off...
    K

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thanks everyone...yes it has been a tough week and I miss my plants, but Toni I will not grow only those plants that irritate but i will grow them along with others!! As far as cameras go on this property...they haven't trimmed the tree yet and we're talking a week and a few days later, so a camera is probably not in the cards. I'm going to write them one more time..this time to the home office and then the next time a news crew. I really want to get away from here but for now we're here until the time is right.

Sorry Sjoerd....this is an apartment complex...so you know how that goes.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2016
    Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes indeed HUMMER--I sure do. I see what you mean. Well, if you have plans to move to another area, then I suppose that there isn't much reason to stick too much more effort or emotions into the plants there.

KATE--good idea--an alarm. That might also work well.

hummerbum likes this.
  8. kate

kate In Flower

Hope your not waiting too long for the move Hummer!
    K
    :stew1:

hummerbum likes this.
  9. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

thanks Sjoerd and Kate.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

May the force be with you, Hummer----I know that Kate and I sure are.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

HB...I just discovered this thread. I am so sorry that your lovely plants have been stolen. I know I would be furious. Perhaps I am naive but I just do not think of gardeners as the kind of people who would steal like this. I think of gardeners as being helpful people, respectful of all living things. Naive, huh? I would get a motion detection camera & train it on the area. I do not think they are terribly expensive.
    I also would be tempted to put signs up in the neighborhood (as you would for a lost pet) LOST: Pot of Canna Lilies, Pot of Elephant Ears, Pot of etc and include a photo. Add the words, 'If sighted, call police at _________'. If it is a local thief, these posters might just rattle their cage. That would be a very good thing.

An alternative approach might be to give them a chance to return the plants....'Please return my plants to the side of the building, no questions asked'.

Sjoerd likes this.