These are african violets, right?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Ronni, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I think I have the name right. Anyway...........

This one frequently rocks the house with an abundance of flowers!
    [​IMG]

And this one just sits there, very occasionally putting out one small bunch
    [​IMG]

They share the same window ledge, they're grown under the same conditions, watered the same amount etc, and yet one is putting out copious amounts of flowers and one is barely doing anything at all. The under-flowering one looks perfectly healthy, puts out new leaves frequently, and seems to be in great shape other than hardly ever flowing.

Any ideas why? And what if anything I can do to make it flower more?

Frank, Cayuga Morning and purpleinopp like this.
  2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes it is a Violet. Take a good look at the soil and make sure they are in the same kind. I do think the first one is in a violet pot, right? That is one pot inside another where you put water in the lower one. Is the lower one in the same kind of pot? If they are both in those kind of pots make sure they never get emptied.

Most of the time Violets don't flower because one may dry out a little. The future buds drop if that happens. So check and see if before watering day that the unflowering one is wet or day....

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Barb they're both in violet pots, same size and shape, just different colors. And yeah, I always make sure they sit in copious amounts of water.

Y'know, I'm thinking that perhaps they are different kinds of plants....I mean, clearly they're both violets, but the leaves on the one have some subtle differences to the leaves on the other one.

Look, see what I mean? The leaves on the pink one are darker and more rounded at the tips than the leaves on the unflowering one.

[​IMG]

Could they be different....I don't know....strains or something? Different plants within the same general family, so they require different kinds of care?

I'll definitely follow your suggestions and see if that makes a difference. I'm also going to switch their places. I don't know that one gets any more or less sun than the other one, but the slant of the rays coming in the window may make a difference or.....heck, I don't know!! Grasping at straws here! :eek:

5. waretrop

They are both Violets. I don't think switching them will help. If you really never let them dry out then I would thing about replacing the soil in the non blooming one. I really wouldn't do that unless you are sure. There is an African Violet fertilizer but I almost never used it when I did my Violets.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ronni & Barb--All of my violets take a rest from blooming from time to time. Could it just be that?

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I kind of think you are right with the 2 different types theory. Similar but different. Do we have any African Violet professionals here? :p

8. waretrop

They are both African Violets and both need the same conditions. I never did anything with my violets except watered them regularly. I kept an average of 600 named for years. the first thing that should be done is watch the watering. Just never let the water go lower than the insert. The second thing is to change soil and/fertilize it. While you are doing that look for bugs in the soil. Violets may rest but they wouldn't go for long periods of time.

I will add that they both look heatly enough. No rust or spots. No webbing.

Be patient and look at the plant. It will talk to you. Be observant.

9. Macbrine

Macbrine Seedling

Definitely African Violets, as Barb said WATCH THE WATERING. Most important thing when it comes to African Violets(in my opinion).

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronnie, they are both african violets. Two different varieties for sure, but both violets none the less. Unless you have the tags for them you will probably never know their actual variety names. Don't fret that the one isn't blooming this is normal. Like Barb advised.....never let it get dry. Your plants are beautiful, too. They look as healthy as it gets. just be patient.

11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

OK. Thanks all. I appreciate the input a bunch!

I think I'm going to repot the un-blooming one. It's really hard to see the soil in both pots because the foliage is so dense. But the bare one I realized has considerably less soil than its sister (brother?) and I don't know why. But whatever, only about half the pot is full. I think that one was a rescue too, so it came to me that way.

I'll give it some fresh new soil and wait awhile, and see what happens!

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ronni, African violets are easy to propagate. Take a leaf, put it on damp soil in a pot, and let it root. I always put an old-fashioned hairpin (the kind that looks like an upside-down U) to keep the leaf in contact with the soil.

13. waretrop

Yes What marlingardener said. I was told one time by a very very good plant friend, that African Violets have this very large "will to live" and propagate itself.

Those sexy little things.....

stratsmom likes this.