This is going to be difficult.......

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by fatbaldguy, Feb 13, 2016.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Today, I relinquish control of my garden to someone else. A family of Rwandan refugee's have been adopted by my wife. I am going to show/teach/mentor these people on how to supplement their food budget by allowing them to use my garden for their own purposes.

They will of course be growing several items that I choose and I will get a small share of the produce. Yet, I will not be the caretaker.

I am not patient, I am not particularly kind, I am not soft spoken. This is going to be really, really hard!

Teaching succession planting, picking, cultivating, use of all natural fertilizers and insect control. All this, and English is not their first language. I don't speak French, Swahili, and the one I can't remember that is native Rwandan.

These were not rural people either, they were business professionals. I will pick them up in 45 minutes to teach them how to start cabbage, kohlrabi, and kale. They are unaccustomed to the cold, when I tell them that peas must be planted in one month, they will have difficulty believing me.

So, any words of advice, or strategies for teaching will be joyfully accepted

HELP!

Droopy likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh dear! I give you my whole hearted support on your new experience. Sorry, I have no words of wisdom. My husband calls me patience... not in a mean way but when I am not being patient to remind me ... usually it is when I am driving in amish country... or behind stupid drivers on the road somewhere. So, I can totally relate to your worry.
    My MIL was in the hospital a few weeks ago and told me I wasn't a very good nurse (not in a mean way, either)... I wasn't gentle or sweet enough. "Sorry. get over it." was my response. this is what you get unless you can find someone else to volunteer.

4. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Feel for you, Buddy, I'll pray for you...
    Hank

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hey look on the bright side. It may just turn out to be fun!! Fingers crossed I'm right and that you don't have too many problems.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Good Luck on teaching...I hope you find it easier than you think.

7. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Who would have thought that it would be necessary to teach someone the depth that seeds are to be planted? As far as I know, I have always known that a seed is to be planted at a depth 3 times it's own size. Where did I learn that?

I must learn to allow others to learn from their mistakes.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It evidently will surprise you to learn that not everyone has had an agricultural upbringing ;) so taking that into account when helping them will greatly improve their experience and yours.
    Letting them learn from their mistakes when you have the knowledge to give them the chance to not make those mistakes doesn't really teach them anything except not to trust everyone they meet.

Don't teach them successive planting at first, mark your calender and teach them to plant more seeds again two, or three, or whatever weeks later. They will learn more from observation than by you telling them, they see you only using organic fertilizers and bug control....they learn.
    Picking is several weeks away, so save that until the time comes.
    If they have never gardened before then you won't have a problem teaching them about planting some veggies during cooler weather and they will take your word for it instead of arguing with you. Remember, they may not speak your language but they are smart enough to know when they are getting correct information from someone who is more experienced at gardening in this country than they are.

English may not be their first language but their Rwandan dialect is not your first language either so you are both at a disadvantage and must find a way to work around that. But they are intelligent or they wouldn't have been business professionals and they will know they need to learn so they can feed their family in a new country.

Whenever you feel the 'need' to be impatient, unkind or yell at them just remember that they have lost their home, country, family connections, way of life, financial security, jobs, everything that gave them a life free from danger, stress, fear and hunger......you did not.

Droopy likes this.
  9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I wish you the best and hope that everything works out. It's good in that they want and need to learn how to supplement their food so they will be more attentive. Please keep us up-dated on your new adventure.

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I so proud of you and your wife! You are the embodiment of "love thy neighbor" even if the love is "tough love" occasionally. :setf_013:You've gotten good advice here, and all I can add is smile a lot. Gardening is basically fun, and these folks need a little fun in their lives.
    Can any Stewie help by sending seeds?

11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I beg to differ. :heart:

I've never actually heard you speak, with my ears, so I can't really comment on that. But I "hear" you here, all the time. And with those of us who are neophytes at gardening (raises hand) you are very patient, and when I've posted about my life troubles, you've never been anything other than exceedingly kind, and gentle, and compassionate...

I think you're doing a wonderful thing. I'm proud to know you honey. :heart:

carolyn, marlingardener and Frank like this.
  12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I don't have any words of advice, or strategies for teaching. But I do want to commend you for taking on this project. I can imagine how difficult it would be to give strangers control over your garden!

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Toni....applause to you...very well put..
    People will either learn from you or you will turn them off to gardening. I am teaching my husband things I know about flowers, etc. a little at a time. He has been in an office setting and now retired so he is ready , willing and able to learn.
    Good Luck...but please be patient with them, Toni said it right...
    I will not learn a thing from someone that would yell at me because I would just walk away. A good teacher feels good inside in helping others. If my children were yelled at in sports and it was uncalled for, I would either take them out or talk with the coarch. No one needs to be yelled at to learn, explaining things, sometimes over and over again will be the key.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You seem like a nice enough bloke, and I really can't see any big problems with your shared garden venture. Actually I envy you. That's an experience I've never had, and I would love to have some day. Listen to toni, she has very good input there.

Start slowly and take it step by step. We've all been beginners at one time. I've found that where language stops, sign language, gestures and showing what to do will work. As for patience I can't help you there. I'm not very patient myself and would dearly love some tips on how to grow some.

Good luck with your adventure. Please keep us updated on the progress.