This Red Squirrel has a raccoon fedish.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Tooty2shoes, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

This little Red squirrel has claimed our hanging raccoon feeder as her own. Once she is in the feeder NO other squirrel can invade her space. She just sits there and scolds any intruders or chases them away. The other day she spent at least 3 hrs in the feeder.
    She would eat and then relax and then eat and relax some more. I had to snap a pic of her relaxing in the feeder. She also is feeding little ones as I can tell when I look at her belly with my binoculars. DSCN3490-001.JPG I bet her little kits are just to cute.

Jewell, AAnightowl, vitrsna and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

She is a cutie! I bet those babies are adorable!!!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

She does a good Stare of Death. I wouldn't come near the feeder if I were another squirrel :)

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

All mums deserve to have a place to relax, eat and be safe - that squirrel has it all. :) Now that's what I call a little down time from the family!!

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I like the little red squirrels and around here they seem to be pretty smart. Most people say they are mean but I haven't noticed that here. Cute photo..

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I really like the picture. She looks like she is taking a rest but still alert and keeping an eye on her babies.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Strats-I bet they are adorable also.
    Frank, she does have the stare thing down really well. She doesn't miss a thing.
    Eileen-I'm sure she has her little paws full with her family and enjoys her down time.
    Sherry-they are really smart. But she will not tolerate another Red squirrel being around the feeder. She chases them off. But the Fox squirrels are another matter. They chase her. Then she sits up in the tree and scolds them with a chipping sound. I wonder what she is saying? Probably-hey, get your crummy paws out of my feeder.
    2ofus-thank you. She was posing so cutely I just had to snap her pic. She is one alert mama squirrel.

9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Tooty, that squirrel is really cute. It might be my eyesight, but it the pic it looks like the gray squirrels that we have here.

[I have had a neighbor tell me a long time ago, that the squirrels kill and eat the birds. She claimed to have seen it in her yard. Bummer. ]

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

AA- I know Red squirrels do do that. Yuck! No that is a little Red Squirrel. We have all three come to our feeders. Red Squirrels, Grey Squirrels, and Fox Squirrels. I had always thought that Red squirrels where aggressive with other squirrels. When the Fox squirrels are at the feeder they rule the roost so to speak. But when it come to another Red squirrel they are really mean. We have several Red squirrels that use to have long tails and now have only half a tail left. I figured they must have gotten in a fight with another Red squirrel who bit off it's tail. Ouch! Here is a pic I had posted before of all the squirrels getting along at the feeder. The Red is in the hanging feeder. The Grey squirrel is on the left side of the tree, and the Fox squirrel is one the right. This doesn't happen very often. I try and put little piles of sunflower seeds at different places in our yard to avoid any arguments. DSCN3440.JPG

Jewell likes this.